back to article Broadband slow and expensive? Blame Telstra says CloudFlare

CloudFlare has carried the fail-bucket to Australia and dumped it on incumbent Telstra's doorstep. The cloud provider has published benchmark peering price comparisons which it says show that Telstra is staggeringly expensive as an Internet transit provider: “we pay about as much every month for bandwidth to serve all of …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. John Tserkezis

Telstra charges lots of money for lesser service than others.

News at eleven.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Telstra

Gold-plating an aging copper network.

But at least the Exec's bonuses are pretty darn generous!

4. Fluffy Bunny
    Devil

Acting just like Telecom Australia

In the old days, you would ask Telecom Australia to install a phone in your house. There was already cable into the house. All the technician had to do was put a phone in there. The fee was gigantic. Worse, you had to wait 2 weeks and they wouldn't even give you an appointment, you had to wait at home the whole time.

They later changed their name to Telstra. And this is the mob the KRudd government gave the NBN monopoly to.

1. Mort

Re: Acting just like Telecom Australia

Wut? KRudd and friends were building the NBN as a completely separate infrastructure to Telstra as you well know. It's Turnbull who is gifting it to Telstra, along with hiring all the ex-Telstra execs to manage it. (Upvote for line connection rort, downvote for KRudd/Telstra/NBN delusion)

1. david 12 Silver badge

KRudd and friends were building the NBN as a completely separate infrastructure ONLY after Telstra told them they couldn't do it for the price asked... Turned out they were correct. Went massively over budget and behind schedule, because it couldn't be done at the price.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So Labour's NBN didn't plan on using any part of the Telstra network? Wasn't there money changing hands for access to infrastructure?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"All the technician had to do was put a phone in there. "

I'm making no attempt to defend Telecom Australia - but you do realise that provision of telephone service, anywhere in the world, is a little more complicated and involves a few more people than how you've described it?

From my days in telephony provision back in the *cough* 1980's - you'd need exchange equipment to be provided, you'd need a route from the exchange to customer planned, you'd need someone to connect up that route inside and outside, you'd need capacity planning in the exchange, directory entries, paper records updated, meter readings taken, phone number allocation - I could go on. Phone lines were expensive because a whole host of people were involved, all operating largely manual processes.

5. david 12 Silver badge

Transit?

It's not clear to me that they've used the term 'transit' in a clear sense. If, as the linked article claims, they peer to all the other ISPs in Aus, then they aren't 'transiting' Telstra in the sense that they use the same word when talking about the USA.

It could be that in this one case, they mean that 'peering' to Telstra is charged, like the deal Netflix just did in the USA.

Or it could mean that they transit Telstra to get access to small ISPs that they don't peer with, that they didn't include in the group 'all other ISPs'

Or something.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Transit?

"It could be that in this one case, they mean that 'peering' to Telstra is charged, like the deal Netflix just did in the USA."

I read it as meaning backbone - both national and international. The fees mentioned for Europe match what I'd expect for Ethernet private lines between data centres.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ask an Aussie

Ask anyone living in Oz, telstra is a monolopy and charge what they want,

Every one knows that telstra lies and will stand behind there bill to the very very bitter end.

7. djnapkin

Dividends

That's one reason why the share dividends are so good. Inequality in action, see it right here.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like