back to article Scratched PC-dispatch patch patched, hatched in batch rematch

Microsoft has reissued a security patch for Windows that previously caused PCs to suffer blue screens of death. The new release comes 10 days after Redmond advised people to uninstall the dodgy update. "This month we had our first roll out with additional non-security updates. A small number of customers experienced problems …

1. i like crisps

How about an update for the BSOD?

Maybe a nice 'Jade Green' or 'Burnt Umber'?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: How about an update for the BSOD?

There is a registry setting you can fiddle with to change the colors of both the text and background for blue-screens. I'm not posting it because changing it causes some really weird stuff to happen when an error is encountered (It'll actually cause additional blue-screens).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At this moment in time I can sit smugly tapping away at the keys of my MacBook Pro.

1. dogged

>smugly

>MacBook

redundancy detected.

2. William Boyle

A small number of customers

A small number of customers to MS is probably on the order of 10 million people... As in "just a small amount of $$ was stolen from the Federal Reserve Bank - just $10 million or so".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The article title

Scratched PC-dispatch patch patched, hatched in batch rematch... natch

4. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

WTF Microsoft?

"Microsoft strongly recommends that customers who have not uninstalled the 2982791 update do so prior to applying the 2993651 update."

I'm sorry but this is bullshit.

So you are now telling me that after having botched your update I must now spend my good time navigating to "Add/Remove Programs" on all of my personal workstations and sift through hundreds of installed updates to find and uninstall one supposedly problematic update manually because Microsoft is too god damned incompetent to have the new update uninstall the old one automatically?

Oh I totally look forward going to the office today where we've already rolled out the problematic update (but kept it installed because it has frankly caused zero problems to date).

(P.S. And lets ignore the headaches this is going to cause me today for a moment. How the fuck does Microsoft expect the vast majority of their customers to even know this when this information is hidden deep within their KB article? As it is I very rarely read each and every patch-related KB in detail... and this is my job. Average Joe isn't going to know fuck all about this "recommendation".)

_|_ you too Microsoft. I love you guys but this is utter nonsense.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Win32k Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability?

I though C# and managed-code had eliminated buffer overflows?

"To view this vulnerability as a standard entry in the Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures list, see CVE-2014-0318."

'win32k.sys .. does not properly control access to thread-owned objects, which allows local users to gain privileges via a crafted application, aka "Win32k Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability."'

http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2014-0318

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms14-045.aspx

1. dogged
      Stop

Re: Win32k Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability?

Managed code has indeed eliminated buffer overflows. However, if you're referencing win32k.sys from a managed assembly, it's important to remember that it is unmanaged code and needs manual disposal.

Of course, the actual Windows operating system is still written in unmanaged C++ and as such is irrelevant to your ignorant newb accusations anyway.

6. PeterM42
    FAIL

Has anyone noticed......

......that Microsoft testing is getting worse and worse?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like