back to article Russia-based hackers prime suspects in JPMorgan mega-breach

The FBI has begun investigating a suspected hacking attack against JPMorgan Chase and another unnamed bank that resulted in the leak of gigabytes of sensitive data. The Feds are working on the theory that Russian hackers hit US banks in retaliation for US sanctions imposed as a result of the ongoing conflict in the Ukraine, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't JP Morgan run nearly everything on Linux? So much for that being 'more secure' then....

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Thumb Down

JP Morgan runs everything on Fed "Money", not Linux.

Troll/10.

2. Duke2010

They banned Huwai and still end up hacked to pieces! :)

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

Ceterum censeo NATO has to do something

"I find it odd that someone who was actually able to break into a bank is not using it for making immediate profit."

How to blow an American Mind!

"Two possibilities here: the first is that there are missing pieces in the puzzle (ie, we are not being told everything) and second is that these were indeed politically motivated hackers"

WE ARE NOT BEING TOLD EVERYTHING? BUT I WATCH CNN AND WOLF BLITZKRIEG AROUND THE CLOCK!!

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Ceterum censeo NATO has to do something

As you say, there are two possibilities to consider. Until we have investigated thoroughly there is no point in unncecessarily causing alarm, when furher developments have been arrived at we will, of course, inform the public.

(we're not sure, politically, who to blame yet -- we screwed up over Russia and now over Syria so there is a need to find a scapegoat that (as yet) has insufficent clout to cause us trouble. )

3. William Donelson
    Mushroom

I still have a dream: BANKERS in PRISON.

1. i like crisps
      Thumb Up

Bankers in Prison...

Make a great sitcom.

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Zero day?

If they really believe that it's state sponsored then I'd look at the possibility that the hackers had been in the system for a long time and just decided to "grab a coke and hit the exit" because they already had everything they wanted.

Oh yea - and the JPMorgan runs on Fed Money - ROTFLMAO ... the down voters must be Bankers.

5. b 3
    FAIL

the haste is a sign of the agenda

rrrrright so they have "begun investigating" yet they are sure it's "state-backed hackers"?

anyway, f**k jp morgan, those parasites deserve all the sh!t they get.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too nice

Which. BofA, is the possible elephant sitting on the news of who else was targeted.

7. Hargrove

"Two possibilities here: the first is that there are missing pieces in the puzzle (ie, we are not being told everything) and second is that these were indeed politically motivated hackers,"

Or both.

The perception that depositors' assets are at risk has potentially devastating consequences for a financial institution. My personal guess is that significant losses have occurred, and I have to believe that most financial institutions have internal management controls in place to ensure that the information remains close hold. Government involvement also provides a mechanism for classification of the information for national security.

8. Rolf Howarth

"I find it odd that someone who was actually able to break into a bank is not using it for making immediate profit."

What does "breaking into a bank's system" actually mean? Getting on to their Intranet so you can read their HR policies and company wide phone directory, and maybe the personal emails and project documents of the one or two individuals whose account you've hacked, or being able to transfer arbitrary sums of money from one account to another? Believe it or not, even people who work within a bank and have full access to their internal systems aren't able to do that!

1. P. Lee

> Believe it or not, even people who work within a bank and have full access to their internal systems aren't able to do that!

Fear the nasty foreign tehwworwists scum! We are nothing like them!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like