back to article LG pokes G3 Stylus at Samsung's Galaxy Note

The mobile phone company once known as "Lucky Goldstar" has taken a trip back into the past and will launch a phablet with a stylus at German phonefest IFA. The G3 Stylus may have the same name as the wonderful G3 phone, but despite having a similarly sized screen at 5.5 inches, it’s a significantly lower specification. …

1. Mage Silver badge

Depends on detail

Price with no contract.

Battery life when typing or annotating.

Er.. Price and Battery life.

200 dpi is in the realms of "good enough" unless I put on really strong reading glasses. Obviously at same size of font the 533dpi or what ever will look like 600 dpi laser print to an extent, but if anti-aliasing is used then 200dpi is better than 400dpi laser and near 600dpi as it can't do intermediate shades.

2. Al Jones

534ppi

is there any real point to this, other than checking a marketing box?

1. Jah

Re: 534ppi

Looks better than the HTC M8, so yes there is a benefit to the 534ppi. But like most things technology, you may not really need it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More detail required

Is this a Wacom based digitiser stylus or some blobby capacitive junk. Looking at the picture it appears to be the latter and therefore almost useless.

4. kmac499

Happy Sammy Owner

I've got a Sammy Note 8 tablet with the Wacom system (Yes a normal full size wacom pen does work).

I also have a screen protector on the tablet. The really important thing to get right for any stylus is the 'Glide Factor' i.e. How similar the stylus feels to a standard pen on paper.

The Sammy stylus is a tad small and skinny for serious writing, (a bit like an Argos ball point) and tends to drag. The Wacom pen is a little too slippy on the surface. Maybe stylus makers could ship different 'nibs' with different properties like the different sized Ear-Buds on earphones. But both devices are perfectly usuable and the handwriting recognition is very good.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

I was torn between a Galaxy Note 4 or a Blackberry passport, but I may have to wait for more details of this...

6. matthewjs

Isn't this a rejigged LG G Pro Lite?

Aren't these the same specs as the LG G Pro Lite, which has been around for more than 18 months? In fact it sounds slightly worse than the G Pro Lite inasmuch as a chunk of the on-screen real estate is eaten up with the virtual buttons. That, and the addition of the stylus, are the only differentiating factors between the two models that I can see.

Surely it would've made much more sense to add stylus functionality to the LG Vista, which - on the basis of its specs, at least - seems to be pitched as a G Pro 2 Lite. It would also maintain a more natural separation between the 'flagship' G3 line and the 'phablet' G Pro line, instead of muddying the waters between the two.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like