back to article Wearables market set to EXPLODE... Wait, is that a STRAP-ON chair?

The wrist computer market has grown by almost 700 per cent this year, the brainy bods at Canalys have claimed. The wearable band sector grew 684 per cent in the first half of 2014 compared with the first half of 2013, according to Canalys' latest device shipment estimates. This could be only the start for this emerging market …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well

A visit to the Norfolk this weekend established that my sister in-law has a wearable Samsung watch.

It did of course come free with the new phone she had so I suspect that is the way they are being 'sold' in such high numbers.

Incidentally, I couldn't see what the fuss was all about and will be sticking to my auto winder, especially after her talk to it in public.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Holmes

Re: Well

Talking to your watch is only uncool now because Apple hasn't got one out. Eventually, when enough judges have had their palms greased and they are ready to launch their own copy, everything changes and it will magically become really, really cool to do that.

1. VinceH

"Talking to your watch is only uncool now because Apple hasn't got one outtoday's yoof don't know about Knight Rider."

FTFY!

1. Fungus Bob
          Childcatcher

Or Dick Tracy...

2. Chairo
    Coat

Go gadget go!

They forgot to mention the always fashionable umbrella hat. It just needs a rain sensor to open automatically.

And let's connect it via bluetooth to the spectacle wipers!

3. frank ly

Noonee 'chair'

You can get a better idea of that thing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMN6ixHgUxQ

It's interesting but would need some training and awareness to avoid falling over backwards.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Noonee 'chair'

It reminds of the old strap-on milking stool.

2. DropBear
      Boffin

Indeed. There's nothing to support you falling backwards if you'd actually tried to "sit". Tell you what - let's add two more segments to the existing ones, in parallel, so they form a parallelogram then a rectangle when deployed (and thus a proper chair with hind legs), then fold back along the existing two segments when stowed.

I can haz my "patent" for blatantly obvious stuff (so basically just like 99% of all patents these days) now, please?

1. Eddy Ito

I guess kicking back and putting your feet up is out of the question.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

Clickbait, never on El Reg

You have to love the title, certainly after reading the other article about FB & click bait this morning.

5. Adam Foxton

Can't help but notice

In their video the guy working the production line is stood still next to that production line for a long time.

Wouldn't installing a chair / stool / bench / other non-person-mounted sittable make more sense in this context?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

24/7?? I have other things to do!

The challenge all vendors face is keeping consumers engaged with the devices, 24 hours a day, seven days a week

What utter crock. If you had to give a device such a lot of attention you'd never get anything done. Idiot - no, sorry, analyst.

7. K

Looks more like a Ski Mojo

I ski with a few friends who get fatigued easily, so they use this - http://www.skiallday.co.uk/sm/

8. Robert Ramsay

As opposed...

to a chair with a strap-on...

1. Graham Marsden
      Happy

Re: As opposed...

If you want one of those, I have them in my Affordable Leather Products range, suitable for ordinary and swivel chairs... ;-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The wrist computer market has grown by almost 700 per cent this year

Go to love those stats.

Does that mean they've sold 7 or 7 billion?

God I despise these "analysts"

1. DropBear

Re: The wrist computer market has grown by almost 700 per cent this year

Oh, you mean this...?

1. Graham Marsden

The number of comments on that post has just grown by 100%!

1. Eddy Ito

If it keeps growing at this rate, we'll have them beat in about an hour.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like