back to article Jarvis versus Jarvis: Don't DISRUPT the DISRUPTION GURU!

Thin-skinned media “guru” Professor Jeff Jarvis is furious about the acclaimed satirical Twitter account created by an English ex-pat techie in his name, which has built up a cult following. Jarvis claims his satirical alter-ego is damaging his reputation. The real Jarvis, author of the book What Would Google Do? describes …

1. Steve Crook

I wish to remain in blissful ignorance

I know this sort of bollocks goes on and that there are pompous dickheads more intent on self promotion or protecting their reputation than doing anything useful. But I'd rather not read about them.

A bit like necrophilia or men with their knobs stuck in picnic tables...

Could you please start the article header with Contains Thrill Suckers or something. Then at least I'd know only to read it when I'm feeling strong...

1. Havin_it
      Alien

Re: I wish to remain in blissful ignorance

Uh, would those be Zragian Thrill-Suckers?

/scrotnig

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"and boasts over 140,000 Twitter followers"

That isn't *that* much even for somebody in the tech limelight these days, is it?

It's 140,000 more than me though... Maybe because I don't have one. I bet if I did, I'd be well popular like.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Many appear to be stuck, emotionally, somewhere in their early teens.

Not sure it's their fault - more like THE INTERWEBZ MADE ME DO IT

There's something about making online posts - like the one I'm typing right now - that transports one back to that early hormonal stage.

4. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Fun

"You've had your fun, mate." -Jarvis

"You've had your fun. Now we want the stuff back." -Unamed senior security official quoted by Rusbridger[1] shortly before computers destroyed at Guardian HQ.

No comment needed really...

[1] http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/guardian-hard-drives_n_3782382.html

5. akeane

And stay AWAY from MR T's BINS!!!

6. frank ly

Parody accounts

If an 'influential' person doesn't have a parody account, then I don't think they can be taken seriously.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Parody accounts

True. You're nobody until you've been done by [insert satirical impressionist here].

But when someone's parody of you is indistinguishable from your own utterances, you've been rumbled.

Lessig, Shirkey, Jarvis: These guys are bullshit merchants, hired to fart a cloud of perfumed verbless sentences over whatever semi-criminal activities their corporate paymasters want justified.

I wonder if this obfuscatory non-speak is another of the things the Internet will "democratize" for us...

"Mugger? How dare you. I'm a disruptive reconfiguration of the ownership transfer paradigm. You need to embrace the future, celebrate the liberating lightening of your asset-anchor... oh, and I'll need the PIN for these, or I'll adventurously de-imagine the hierarchy of your leg bones"

7. disgruntled yank

How can you argue

With somebody named Rurik Bradbury?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jarvis is showing exactly what he is

Interesting that someone who claims to understand the internet so well doesn't get that you never feed the trolls. Especially when they have a point. Pro tip: if your business model is making absurd clickbaity comments you may be able to make a lot of money, but you probably need to develop a coping strategy for when someone calls you out on it.

Meanwhile, any particular reasons for disliking Shirky? I've not read his books but his articles on how healthcare.gov failed (US government expects its IT people to obey orders, never listens to them) and on MOOCs (clearly rubbish right now but it's early days and at least people know how good/bad they are, whereas many university lecturers are rubbish and nobody really realises) seem like some of the more realistic comments about the effects of the internet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon