back to article On test: Samsung 845DC EVO 3-bit Toggle MLC and 845DC PRO 3D V-NAND SSDs

The push of SSDs into areas once considered the domain of the standard hard drive storage shows no appetite in slowing down, in fact the estimate is that the SSD market will grow by 30 percent this year (2014) alone. Samsung SSD845DC EVO Samsung SSD845DC EVO or PRO? You can't tell from the top but inside they are different …

1. K

Awesome drives..

After having 2 smaller SanDisk SDD's fail on me (in RAID) and no success with the comsumer SSD caching solutions (they all suck!), I bit the bullet and brought a large 750GB 840 EVO - I'd highly recommend it, they are amazing drives, my PC boots in about 6 seconds and the management software is really clean and effective.

1. theblackhand

Re: Awesome drives..

I went from a 128GB Crucial m4 to a 256GB Samsung 840 PRO based largely on price and need for more space - I didn't expect any difference in performance between the two SSD's.

I was wrong - the 840PRO's are quick...

1. Paul Shirley

It does help that larger drives have higher bandwidth - roughly doubling till you hit SATA saturation at 500Gb! 128->256 should make a massive difference.

1. Danny 14

I bought a pair of non-pro 840's and haven't looked back since. Very quick drives. That being said I also had an OCZ vertex 3 which was RMA'd twice (panic lock both times). It has been relegated to the laptop.

2. Nate Amsden

I just ordered a 512GB 850 Pro yesterday, and was pretty happy with it until I realized it did not have power fail protection, I was looking at the Intel 730 before that which does have power fail protection. The drive is going into a 4-year old Toshiba i7 laptop that spends 99% of it's time plugged into the wall (currently runs off a Momentus XT 750GB hybrid).

I imagine the likelihood of serious data loss due to power fail/system crash is probably low but this has been on my mind today. I had a crucial SSD a few years back get pretty large data corruption after a power failure(UPS battery was dead and when self test kicked in the system went down - this was in my home not a business!).

2. Alan Johnson

Odd use of concentric

I found the use of read (or write) concentric to mean read (foccussed, biased, optimised, dominated, orientated ....) really disconcerting. Am I an old Foggie and concentric is used to mean this nowadays or is it just the author? Funnily enough I could live with read centred although it is maybe not the best word. There are certainly a lot of other words the author could pick. The use of concentric to mean having a common centre is certainly a useful one an one that does not have lots of alternative words to scribe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Odd use of concentric

One assumes the difference between read & write oriented to merely describe the amount of provisioning necessary, rather than the firmware in the controller.

I am probably wrong ...

2. Anna Logg

Re: Odd use of concentric

Indeed, "concentric" is surely the wrong word; "centric" and "concentric" aren't synonyms!

3. Adam JC

Am I missing something here

How have you acheived speeds above the 6G SATA speed with a RAID1 mirror? RAID1 I understand the performance increase but I'm struggling to get my head round how this drastic performance increase comes about by putting two drives in a mirrored array!

Please forgive me if I'm being an idiot, I've been at work since 7AM and this is my first opportunity at a coffee break :-(

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Am I missing something here

The RAID1 is presumably reading as if it's a striped set, but writes are still mirrored. I seem to remember that this is how a number of RAID controllers work.

This makes sense in my mind, but I'm not sure whether there are any particular data security implications of doing so.

1. Nick Stallman

Re: Am I missing something here

It could act like RAID 0 where some blocks for a request come from one disk, and other blocks from another, but its more useful if it can handle two unrelated read requests at once. The first scenario for spinning rust disks would actually be quite bad.

But yep RAID 1 does nothing for writes.

4. brooxta
    Boffin

Tantalum Capacitors

I make it 21, not 23 as the article says. Or are there two extra ones hiding behind a controller chip on on the other side?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like