back to article Ah ha, mon amour violet ... French Iliad attempts to nibble on T-Mobile US

French telco Iliad has made a surprise offer to acquire a majority stake in mobile carrier T-Mobile US, though the bid may have already been shot down. Following multiple press reports, Iliad confirmed it was indeed making an offer to buy out a 56.6 per cent stake in T-Mob US. "The US mobile market is large and attractive," …

1. Hans 1

USians should pray that this works out

I am with Iliad, or ILIAD (capital i's and l's are confusing).

That is the telco that allows me to call 100 countries (landlines, mobiles in France, Canada, US, only), 4G, 20G data (slower connection speed once 20G has been reached), unlimited SMS's on my mobile for the price of .... 16 euro/month.

That would probably also mean no roaming charges for me when I go to the US ... go for it, Iliad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: USians should pray that this works out

16 euro/month.

20€/month unless you're also a subscriber to their DSL or Fibre Internet service

You have to provide your own phone

The "100" countries count cheats by considering England, Scotland and Wales as 3 separate ones

Overall, that's "Free" all over. They're the Ryanair of the Internet, I gave up on them long ago, their ADSL was flakey and throttled to almost nothing in the evenings (which they denied even when presented with documented proof) and their overseas call centres made Talk Talk look professional.

They also have a great track record of suing any customer who uses the word "fraud" in connection with their, shall we say "creative excuses" for the throttled network.

Actually, perhaps Iliad operating in the US might be fun to watch, American consumers are much quicker with sueballs than French ones.

1. Hans 1

Re: USians should pray that this works out

Ok, sorry ... I should have added YMMV.

16 euro/month is what I pay, I do have ADSL/TV/LandLine with them as well as the two set top boxes they claim were designed by Starck, one of which comes with bluray player, not that I use it for anything other than news on TV, the kids for their entertainment.

20euro/month is still cheaper than anything else in France for that, or even in the World I would say. As for the 100 countries, yes, they count Scottland and Wales as different countries, aren't they? It is not like they count the states in the USA as different countries. And, what is the difference between 97 and 100, or lets say 94 and 100, when no other mobile provider allows more than 40 and their roaming charges are horrendous compared to Iliad/Free?

I must admit, network throttling issues existed in the beginning on Free mobile, Orange was not delivering. I was among the first to jump ship to Free mobile and in the beginning, as you say, network throttling, dropped calls, etc however, now I have Iliad's 4G antenna's in range of my BB10 Z30, could not be happier. On ADSL side, I have been with Iliad since 2011 and am looking forward to fiber, it will be in my street in 2016, iirc.

A bit of history:

I started off with Neuf telecom, which tried to convince me not to return a poor excuse for a paperweight (Windows whatever phone back in 2009) in due time, thankfully I did not trust them and sent it back anyway - I never received some stickers I needed to send back with the phone and was promised to receive before the deadline. I sent the letter "en recommandé" without return notification, cause the post office was a 25m walk away and it saved ~a quid/$1 ... They did lie saying they had not received the phone in time, I walked 50m, had the post office print out the delivery document, scanned it and sent it to them via email with a nice \/.

I lived in a place where there was a problem with the phone line (broken cable ... could have been heavy rains, mud in pipe, rats ....), FT took a whopping 6 weeks to fix it (I work from home, so imagine 6 weeks without fast internet), and then, only when I agreed to join the Orange network. Note that Neuf claimed it would take 2 months if they had to contact FT. So, off I go with FT, the most expensive provider, not that I care I do not pay the ADSL bill, company does ;-), but still, I was expecting better service. Phone service is top notch, they have some nice international (different language) child TV programs as well ... but keep trying to sell you BS you do not want as soon as you have a query, sometimes even going as far as saying ... we can ONLY help you if you take a 2 months free offer live Sports - I do sports, hardly ever enjoy watching others do it, though ;-).

So, then I decide to move houses, explain that I need the second internet connection up & running as soon as the old one fails, they say "Impossible, monsieur" ... so I go to free. Never had any issues with them, then again, YMMV, I know ppl who are happy with SFR(they bought Neuf)/Orange/whatever.

Free (Iliad floats my boat), do not really care much about yours, though.

Only, to us Iliad customers, the others are pigeons.

As for the phone ... iPhone 5S 16Gb 433euro (49euro + 24 installments of 16euro) - get yourself a calculator. Admittedly, it is the 16Gb phone, still good bargain.

PS: They also have a 2euro option, 2 hours, 1 euro additional hour, unlimited SMS, no data. Nothing beats that in France either, once you calculate that my kids never spend more than two hours on the phone ... they are still pre-teens.

PPS: I will never do any business with Bouygues, so scrap that option.

2. The Alphabet

I wouldn't be surprised if France Telecom mount a bid for 50% of T-Mobile and rebrand it into EE USA.

(if that happens, oh dear)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like