back to article We're BFFs AGAIN, say AT&T and Netflix after penning peering pact

Netflix has agreed to a network peering deal with AT&T. The two firms said in a joint statement that they have inked an agreement which will provide better connections between the Netflix service and AT&T's own network, confirming an earlier report from Mashable. "We reached an interconnect agreement with AT&T in May and …

1. Down not across

Peering

Given the recent articles about the spat between Netflix and Verizon (who by all accounts appears to have signed peering agreement) it seems uncertain how much this well help AT&T. Verizon seems to have done theirs in April and yet its customers report issues with Netflix. Sure some provisioning can take some time but three months? Also makes the public bickering somewhat odd if an agreement in place. I suppose that is where L3 come in being the carrier between the two.

Shall be interesting to see if AT&T fares any better than Verizon.

1. Tom 13

Re: Peering

I believe the peering agreement to which you are referring was with Comcast, not Verizon. In fact I was going to comment that perhaps that means Netflix and Verizon will very soon be inking a similar deal since that seems to be the way this dance is run.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I never had an issue with Netflix on Uverse. I would consistently get 5Mbps streams and when I start a movie, it buffers for a single second and then starts playing and never had it stop to fill up the buffer again.

3. John Robson Silver badge

Isn't peering....

normally a bit more symmetric than this is ilkely to be?

This seems more like pumping than peering, not that that's a bad thing - but I can't help but think that the word peering isn't quite right.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Isn't peering....

The term peering doesn't imply any particular payment structure on its own, so asymmetrical traffic is fine (one party pays).

Tier1 to Tier1 interconnects are payment free though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like