back to article HP settles suit with popstar Chubby Checker over todger tester app

HP has settled its trademark suit with '60s popstar Chubby Checker over a software application of the same name intended to estimate the size of a man's member. The former pop sensation, whose real name is Ernest Evans, sued the tech firm for naming its todger totter-upper after him last year. The app, which was available to …

1. dkjd

Palm users

Surely palm users are intimately familiar with the size of their todger already?

2. Nigel Brown

Well I *was*..

...going to question if there really is a market for this app, but then I remembered about all the fart generator apps and decided not to ask.

1. Volker Hett

Re: Well I *was*..

as far as I know the app sold 84 times at 99 Cents.

1. DavCrav

"as far as I know the app sold 84 times at 99 Cents."

Good thing they didn't charge 50 cents for it, or they'd have another trademark infringement suit...

2. mark 63 Silver badge

84 x 99c ?

well lets hope the settlement was less than $84 then

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Foot in the door?

I would imagine that if the store operator is liable for trademark infringement by the apps then we're going to be seeing a few more cases like this.

4. TitterYeNot

Missing Headline...

What, no 'Chubby Checker and his Stubby Pecker' gag?

5. FredDerf

Oh :-)

"Palm" and man's member? This is a joke, right?

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

K'nel!

...as another Chubby might say :-)

7. asdf

because no one else will say it

Chubby Checker is still alive (no infantile penis jokes please)? How come its always the hacks that live long and prosper?

1. Mike Moyle

Re: because no one else will say it

Because the big stars can afford more and higher-test drugs, no doubt.

8. Michael Habel

Sometimes you just have to get up, and say WTF?!

Really HP didn't already have enough work to do with fixing their crappy Printer Drivers... So they went ahead and, created an App for the iDoits™­ with their iThings™. I knew that HP were basically just a bunch of dicks. But this takes the Biscuit!!

1. Volker Hett

Re: Sometimes you just have to get up, and say WTF?!

To be true, HP didn't even develop that! It was a third party app in the WebOS Market, one of very few by the way :)

1. asdf

Lol HP was hardly in a position to reject apps when their app store numbers were in the hundreds. And unlike Microsoft they didn't bother too much writing apps for their ecosystem for free for third parties.

2. Michael Habel

I must have missed the Word "Publish" somewhere along the way... I thought they had actually created it. Which was more or less my response at the time. However if they only just "published" this App to their "Store".... Then why were they (i.e. HP), sued over the name? Wouldn't have made more sense to go after the Author of the App in question? Seems to me going by that logic, that's how it should have worked. I can't really see Apple, or Google allowing themselves to fall foul in such a dispute. Then again, as has been stated they could afford to shed a few Apps, and not fell anything.

9. E_Nigma
    Unhappy

Repent!

Hewlett Packard published a piece of software that guesses the size of one's penis by one's shoe size? The end is near.

10. synonymous cowherd

Kerching !!!

Note to marketing department: todo web search all proposed app names.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well that explains...

That explains why I have size 36 shoe's!

1. Allan George Dyer

Re: Well that explains...

If that's a European size, I understand why you posted anonymously...

1. Michael Habel
        Mushroom

If that's a European size, I understand why you posted anonymously...

OOHHHHH FEEL THE BURN!!!

2. Mystic Megabyte
      Windows

You're a clown!

12. fixit_f

According to the Guardian's version....

His spokesman was called "Willie Gary"

13. Tim Bates

Was Chubby Checker (the musical bloke) in the business of estimating the sizes of sausages aswell as the musical bit? Or did the app use the guy's image aswell, thus causing the confusion required?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like