back to article Seeking LTE expert to insert small cells into BT customers' places

BT is recruiting an expert on 4G small cells. What are they up to? The job ad reads: BT is seeking a talented principal engineer who can drive the technical specification and design of LTE small cell products for our consumer Customer Premises Equipment. You will be implementing BT’s mobility strategy alongside the team of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LTE small cell products?

Didn't the amazing Fabrice Bellard do (most of) a software-driven LTE base station already using little more than a PC and a simple add-on radio module? Not sure of the status of the work though.

Maybe BT want a Phorm-ready version?

[icon for half smiley goes here]

2. Bluenose
    Alert

On the other hand

Is this how they plan to overcome the costs of deploying fast broadband to the expensive users , by deploying LTE wireless routers in the home and doing away with fixed line communications in their entirety?

3. Warm Braw

I very much doubt...

... they're looking for someone to develop picocell/femtocell hardware, they'll just buy that. It's more likely to be they're looking to integrate such hardware with Home Hub - as an adjunct to WiFi for serving data (and probably, specifically, video) to mobile devices and as means of providing integrated voice services regardless of location. And one bill. In other words, just about everything people are supposed to be able to do by subscribing to LTE alone and ditching their land line.

If it were me, I'd insist on making it look like a large basket - somewhere to keep all those eggs...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I very much doubt...

I think more likely is G.Fast to the pole top, then LTE picocells into people's homes. The expensive bit in broadband deployment is the last bit into homes and offices.

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Meanwhile?

Now if only AT&T could do that with my 2Mb DSL line ... it's high speed, I know because it says that on the $50 bill every month.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like