back to article Sony tries to make PlayStation Network hack row go away with $15m in cash and games

Sony has offered a $15m settlement to gamers after its PlayStation Network (PSN) was comprehensively pwned, but it refuses to admit that it was at fault. In April 2011 the Japanese giant was forced to shut down PSN after hackers got into its system and pillaged user accounts for information. While credit card information was …

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Yep, sure, corporations are people. When they do wrong and affect the lives of thousands of people they get away with a slap on the wrist. A person who managed to inconvenience thousands of people - or cost hundreds/thousands of people thousands of dollars - would end up in jail, or faced with a fine that would bankrupt them.

Yep. Everything is fair and on the level. Move on, nothing to see here...

1. Matt 21

On the other hand

If they'd kept the details on paper and someone had broken into their offices then the police would be looking for the culprit and nothing would have been said.

If they'd kept the details on a standalone computer in their office and it had been stolen it would probably amount to the same as above.

In my opinion the deal on offer is more than fair unless it can be proved that Sony were grossly incompetent. While they may have been in other areas it seems to me that in this are they were no worse than hundreds of others.

Re: On the other hand

Millions of people smoke pot. Yet the cops still bang up people in jail for possession of minor quantities. Does the fact that so many individuals indulge in this harmless pastime change the fact of it's illegality?

"He did it too" is never an excuse. At best, if enough people "do it too" you can make enforcement of that law impractical. But it's still breaking the law.

And no, it isn't fair. What is fair is that the people who run the company get in the same sort of shit as would happen if an individual were to do transgress upon others in an equal fashion. Corporations should not get off lighter because they are corporations. They should be hurt just as hard as we hurt individuals. If we would ruin an individual for an infraction of this scale then we should ruin a corporation for the same thing. Then - and only then - will we see any fucks given whatsoever towards concepts like security.

1. Matt 21

Perhaps we're talking at crossed purposes or I haven't understood the article......

My understanding is that criminals broke into Sony's database and stole personal data on its users. I don't think it's the case that some employee left the disc on a train.

So, I'm not saying they should be let off because they're a corporation. I'm saying that unless they were grossly incompetent with their security they shouldn't be given a beating. Same rule for you and me.

Well, I think the issue here is the question "were they grossly incompetent with their security"? My understanding is that yes, in fact, they were downright lax about security. After the compromise they doubled down on douchebaggery by proceeding to lie and cover up until they we provably caught out.

The settlement bit is them attempting desperately to dodge a full blown trail that would prove the above beyond a doubt. Which brings me to me "skewer the fuckers so that I can enjoy their mewling cries of agony, and leave them there until the insects strip the flesh from their bones and the sun bleaches those bones to the purest of white."

2. pewpie

So in an offer of compensation Sony will offer to plug you in to thier cash-siphoning eternal-subscription-to-be-useful 'Plus' program.. Why don't they just offer you an envelope containing a slice of dried dog turd?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Easy. Because that $15m is retail value. To Sony, it's probably less than $5m in actual costs. And they get to retain the suckers customers on subscription for at least another year.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

"refuses to admit that it was at fault"

Just like with the music CD rootkit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US only

European gamers didn't go off and sue, and just got given those same offers in their Welcome back gifts in 2011.

The slow cogs of American law....

Interestingly, I have never head of a single person that ever had any fraud as a result of PSN hacks, but know 20 or 30 people that lost all their details in the Gawker, Adobe and Ebay hacks.. It's just a shame that the media reporting is totally disproportionate to the real scale of things.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous Coward

Agreed. Although I can understand the sentiments I also can't help wonder whatever happened to one's own responsibility? At least where personal data is concerned, it becomes a different story when we're talking about creditcard details of course.

However, the players in Europe got a much better deal I think. Because this article speaks of either 1 free game for PS3 or PSP, 3 themes or a 3 months subscription to PlayStation Plus.

The initial "Welcome back" action however dealt with 2 free games for the PS3, people who also had a PSP registered were also entitled to 2 PSP games and on top of that we got a free 1 month subscription to PlayStation Plus.

PS3 titles people got to chose from: "Little Big Planet, Infamous, Wipeout HD/Fury, Ratchet and Clank: Quest for booty, Dead Nation".

And the PSP titles: "Little Big Planet PSP, Modnation PSP, Pursuit Force, Killzone Liberation".

I remember quite well because this is how I got into contact with inFamous. And that resulted in me grabbing inFamous 2 and I still enjoy that title up to this date because of the awesome mission and level editor. If only we got access to Lucy Kuo and Nix in their conduit form, that would have been so major kick ass... But, can't win 'm all :)

5. Mr C

not our fault but here's some cash anyway??

So its not their fault but they're willing to shell out for it anyway?

Surely this company deserves a reward!

I wish my boss would give me money each time he "didn't screw up" - i could really use that nice car i saw the other day

6. mark 63 Silver badge

14 titles?

" free game for the PSP or PS3 from a selection of 14 titles".

They must have a load of CDs clogging up a warehouse

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: 14 titles?

They were download only and to be honest Infamous is a rather good game.

7. menotu

How do you prove who you are if your identity was stolen ??? /s

Customers who can prove that their identity was stolen and financial harm ensued can get up to $2,500 in expenses, according to Sony's offer, and those who lost in-game currency can also claim limited compensation.

1. Anonymoist Cowyard

Because sony know, nobody ever Got any real data, they just couldn't prove thdy hadn't.

Didn't stop the press (and Microsoft) creaming their pants over it all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like