back to article The Pirate Bay opens mobile site

The Pirate Bay has poked Big Content's sore spot again, by erecting a site for mobile devices at themobilebay.org. The new site doesn't do much beyond features offered by The Pirate Bay's other ventures. The site's overseers told Torrent Freak that “The normal version of the site renders like crap on mobile devices”, an …

1. Syntax Error

Good news. Shame there is so little descent software available for my little phone.

1. frank ly
      Happy

Have you considered changing your username?

2. Doogs

Android?

Here's a couple:

The Descent

MacGyver Deadly Descent

I believe the original Descent has also been ported to Android. Was a good game back in the day. Unless you suffered from motion sickness...

2. Barry Rueger

I want!

Seriously, I'll use this just to piss off my evil scumbag wireless provider.

Except that I can only use it with WIFI because the wireless data charges would be through the roof.

3. Daniel B.

Only if they offer unlimited data

I'm guessing that those of us that are stuck with paying by data use are going to be screwed if we do big downloads using our mobile data connection. They'll be happy for us to overload their network as long as they get to charge the big bucks on us!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or if your BT client has is WiFi-aware.

I believe some Android BT clients are savvy enough not to use mobile data to do their work and instead wait until you're in a WiFi AP to do its work. Now, granted this has concerns of its own unless it's YOUR AP, but there's also the possibility of RCing a home setup or using a secure tunnel.

4. Suricou Raven

Handy.

Never mind cellular - it's ideal for grabbing stuff from free hotspots.

5. king of foo

hmmm

Firefox on KitKat isn't as good as chrome.

But chrome still has no addons.

I therefore put up with all the crap aimed at mobile users on some websites because, generally, chrome is faster/smoother/better.

Damn google, your evil schemes do work... Even on me...

If chrome browser had adblock etc I'd be happily enjoying mobile browsing without generating ad revenue. Once all the ads are gone the internet becomes quite a nice, well designed place, even on mobile. This is why I'm glad so many adverts still use flash...

We don't need no steenkeeng mobile sites or mobile apps, just a better advertising model. I for one favour having a setting in my browser that renders all adds 100% transparent. Let them be served to me, just let me not see them please...

1. John Sanders
      Flame

Re: hmmm

"""Firefox on KitKat isn't as good as chrome."""

Obviously you meant to say that -Firefox on Android is a piece of shit-

It is an UI nightmare tied to an incomprehensible font scaling algorithm.

2. caffeine addict

Re: hmmm

Firefox on android is by far the least stable app on my phone or my Nexus7. The thing crashes if you open too many tabs (which, depending on its mood, can be 3), and seems to have decided that animated gifs are the work of the devil. Which they probably are, but entirely beside the point.

I only kept it because I hate the tabbing in Chrome, but it's annoyed me one too many times.

But, what am I missing? Why are we discussing Android web browsers in a thread about Pirate Bay?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I only use the mobile phone version to download the .torrent file and only load up uTorrent once I get home to my gaming rig as I am not a fan of huge cellular charges!

I believe I am not alone in this either.

1. b166er

Or just use uTorrent Remote?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Or just use uTorrent Remote?"

You think I honestly leave my gaming rig to be accessible to the outside world while I'm away? I want some of what you're smoking.

7. SoaG

Yes, actually, carriers WILL love it

Highest monthly bundle plan available from any carrier here has a 6GB cap. Anything over that will cost you extra and it's not cheap. Of course, if enough people use their mobile for torrents the bandwidth will quickly saturate, which means more collisions and more retransmissions, which means even more billable usage. I see a big uptick in the incidence of 4 and 5 digit bills in the near future.

1. Charles 9

Re: Yes, actually, carriers WILL love it

Followed by more complaints hitting the public airwaves and a possible public outcry over unfair billing. Perhaps even offers by competitors to defect.

That said, I will say that the carriers are up against a ceiling here; there's only so much they can send on their little slice of bandwidth, so there will be a breaking point at some point where the carriers either raise the fees universally or start dropping off as the business model becomes less viable.

1. Daniel B.

Re: Yes, actually, carriers WILL love it

there's only so much they can send on their little slice of bandwidth

This is why I consider all this "move to wireless" fad as incredibly stupid. I'm OK with having phat pipes on my smartphone, but some people want to go fully wireless as in using a mobile carrier as their ISP. This will backfire hilariously if it ever gets big.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like