back to article The seven nations where SIM CARDS outnumber PEOPLE

The Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development's (OECD's) latest broadband statistics update reports that about 72 per cent of the group's residents now have access to broadband. Startlingly, the data also reports that seven nations - Finland, Australia, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Korea and the United States – now …

1. Daniel B.

Heh.

My country made that list!

It's the last one, though.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Heh.

I don't believe you. If you were in Mexico you wouldn't be able to post that quickly.

2. big_D Silver badge

Not just people

What also needs to be taken into account is people who have a smartphone + a company smartphone, for example, or a smartphone + dongle / laptop / tablet SIM.

Then there is emergency failover in corporations, where the leased line will fail over to DSL, then 4G.

Not forgetting things like mobile credit/debit card terminals, remote monitoring equipment etc. that run over 3G.

1. tony2heads

Re: Not just people

even traffic lights

http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Criminals-after-traffic-light-SIM-cards-in-Pretoria-20120725

1. Acme Fixer

Does this include premises alarm/fire/security systems? More businesses and dwellings are using wireless to get to the service.

2. NumptyScrub

Or directors who just had to have a company phone, plus 3G tablet, plus 3G card for the laptop, not counting any personal devices. I guess though that at those heady heights there is no need seen to spend your own money on devices, when you can just bully the IT department into purchasing them for you at company expense. So maybe 3 SIMs per person is probably a fair maximum ^^;

Bitter, me? Perish the thought.

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Flame

" PLUS: You'll never guess the nations where broadband's IN REVERSE!"

I want to start a campaign calling to ignore any articles which contain a buzz-feed style headline (or by-line)

Whilst I'm moaning, fix the bloody posting times on forum posts!

4. philljenkins

Other countries from the Gulf region?

Last I checked, Qatar, U.A.E., Saudi Arabia, etc. had more like 3 to 1 mobile phones per user - where is their data?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like