back to article Apple: We'll unleash OS X Yosemite beta on the MASSES on 24 July

Anyone eager to take Apple's OS X Yosemite for a spin will be able to get their hands on it from 24 July, the firm has promised. Paid-up developers have been able to test-drive the desktop operating system for the past few weeks. The iPhone giant confirmed to The Register today that version 10.10 of OS X will, come this …

1. James O'Shea

We're doomed. Hell awaits.

1. brooxta

I take it you are also anticipating a calamitous sky-falling-on-our-heads event following the revelation that Apple PR communicated directly with El Reg. Will wonders never cease?

2. Steven Raith

Oh well, as I semi-support Apple gear, I suppose I'd best sign up.

Can't be worse than Windows RCs, he says, tempting fate...

1. Steven Raith

Although...

I still find this hilarious:

"Is the pre-release software I am installing confidential?

Yes, the pre-release software is Apple confidential information. For example, don’t install the pre-release Apple software on any systems you don't directly control or that you share with others, don’t blog, post screen shots, tweet or publicly post information about the pre-release Apple software, and don't discuss the pre-release Apple software with or demonstrate it to others who are not in the OS X Beta Program. For clarity, if Apple has publicly disclosed technical information about the pre-release software then it is no longer considered confidential."

If you don't want risk people discussing your beta, don't make it public!

3. Annihilator
    WTF?

Really???

"Apple tells El Reg"

What, via general press release? Or has the ice finally thawed??

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Wait and see

Already had one report from a friend of the new version crashing hard. Assuming my hardware (2009) is still supported I'll probably wait until at least the first patch release. I don't have any IOS devices so I don't really expect much from this release.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think I'll pass, thanks

I made the mistake up updating my mid-2008 MB Air to Mavericks. Any website with Adobe Flash on it very quickly causes cpu load to spike, it heats up and the fans start running as it begins to heat up. I constantly have to kill the Flash Player.plugin processes to keep it from burning itself up.

On top of that the iMessage app has never worked since updating. The network config was borked and I couldn't get onto the wifi at work until a genius at the Apple Store erased my network config, losing my VPN settings in the process. More recently, halfway through a holiday, the VPN settings somehow got corrupted and I've been unable to get on the VPN since despite the fact that settings all look correct.

WTF Apple. This is really making me rethink whether I want a new MBA after the expect refresh later this year. Although what would I get instead?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think I'll pass, thanks

Flash is cack that's why.

6. Syntax Error

Sounds underwhelming. Lots of eye candy.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still waiting for them to try to sneak a code lockdown past people. At the moment you can choose to install non-signed apps, it makes you wonder for how long this will happen on desktop computers?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like