back to article iSense something, a presence not felt since... Apple sketches fanboi-finding infrared sensors

Apple hopes to patent a gizmo that uses heat and infrared light to know when you're nearby. The US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has published an application, titled Infrared Sensors for Electronic Devices, drawn up the company that describes technology which would use infrared to detect the presence of something and …

1. Thorne

This needs a patent

Because nobody ever thought of an infrared sensor before. You could even use it in alarms...........

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: This needs a patent

Like most patents, the submitter is trying to demonstrate a way of using already available 'stuff' in a way that might be different from other people.

The decision that will probably reside in the long term with the courts is, 'Is this method sufficiently different from other similar methods already patented by other companies'.

Now what would be true innovation would be if the device alerted the used of the presence of someone using a rival makers phone. (Then sent out a taser/lightning bolt to disable the other use/enemy... Just dreaming because the storms last night didn't let me get much sleep) :)

Note that I have not sided on Apple or Samsung/Android here. Samsung/Google could equally apply for that patent. Google may have already done so already... IMHO,it is not beyond the stupidity of the USPTO to grant almost identical patents to rival companies.

2. big_D Silver badge

My first thought as well.

Ours could tell the difference between a car or small dog and a human running in front of it.

This is "some technology that everybody uses... and we want to put the word mobile on this existing patent and re-pathen it, thankyouverymuch."

3. Daniel von Asmuth
      Unhappy

Maybe so, but the Registered Trademark has already been claimed .. see http://www.isense.nl

2. frank ly

re. the stupidity of the USPTO

If it was in my power, I'd grant almost identical patents to rival companies. Not because I'm stupid but because it would give years of entertainment.

1. Crisp

Re: re. the stupidity of the USPTO

You are Dogbert, and I hereby claim my five pounds.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So....

...so decent PIR night light then?

4. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Terminator

Detect man from machine?

I thought you were supposed to do that by detecting heartbeat. The iWatch could also conveniently re-broadcast said heartbeat asynchronously, to make you appear inanimate to the sensor.

Terminator for lack of an Autonomous Mobile Sword icon.

5. 's water music
    Terminator

but, but

So the dog barking voice recognition tech for Siri was just a cover then. Notice how they deliberately don't link the two in this patent application.

Hold on, I can hear someone at the door. Not someone I recognise though they look kind of familiar. BRB...

6. Rabbit80

Pretty sure my Samsung Note 2 does this already.. If I wave my hand towards it, the screen comes on and shows me the clock/notifications.

7. JaitcH
    WTF?

It is high time patents had a 'pit up or shut' clause

Apple, and others, should have 3 or 5 years to pit their Tosh into operation OR lose their patent.

This would disarm Patent Trolls and companies who file to block competitors for petty reasons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like