back to article BBM beta comes to Windows Phone

Among BlackBerry's many problems is that it has a very popular messaging app, BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), but struggles to turn a quid with it. Among Microsoft's problems is that it has a very decent mobile device operating system, Windows Phone, but would-be-users are often deterred by the fact some popular apps aren't …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

This could be a smart move...

Microsoft had a very nice "social network" which even integrated seemingly within their Windows Phone environment as well as their XBox environment. Heck; it even blended in perfectly with their "web tools". I'm talking of course about their Messenger / MSN service. It could be used on PC, it could be used on WP and even using nothing more than a browser would give you access. It was a very nice alternative.

Of course, directly in line with their "Lets tick off our customer base" (as I like to call it) Microsoft discontinued messenger and the whole social media environment behind it; all instant messaging needs to be handled by Skype. Well; I'll pass. I don't like "free" services which constantly spam you with "buy more credits" advertisement. Even on neutral ground such as your profile page. Really; WTF?

So yeah; if they manage to pull this off and also introduce a desktop counterpart which can run on your PC (like Messenger could) then I think they may very well be filling in a huge gap on WP.

And who knows; it could also just as well get them some interest for their phone line as well...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This could be a smart move...

I don't see how integrating BBM with Microsoft will do anything good.

BBM's major attraction was that it was reasonably secure. Why then plug it into the NSA-tapped cesspool which is Microsoft?

Also, BBM was one of the major selling points of the Blackberry handset. Start giving it away on other platforms and people no longer have a reason to actually buy Blackberry handsets ... they're not going to get any money from BBM itself to compensate for further loss in handset sales because they're giving it away. WTF. I must have missed something, because this just doesn't make sense.

Very disappointed in RIM because I really like my Z10, but looks like the company is going to die so eventually I'll be forced to turn to the security nightmare that is Android.

1. davidp231

"BBM's major attraction was that it was reasonably secure. Why then plug it into the NSA-tapped cesspool which is Microsoft?"

They plugged it into Android, which is far worse if you ask me.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"BBM's major attraction was that it was reasonably secure."

A quick check on Secunia shows that Blackberry 10 OS already has over 40 known vulnerabilities - including a complete compromise of the device via web browsing - and Windows Phone 8 - has ZERO!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"and Windows Phone 8 - has ZERO!"

Really? Must have been a real quick search you did. An equally quick search I did throws up countless Windows Phone 8 vulnerabilities which have plagued the platform since its original release.

(Beginning with the awesome http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/13/windows_phone_8_malware/ story ... and continuing through 2013 and beyond with the comically b0rked WIFI crypto, Flash nightmare, etc, etc )

- and that's ignoring the Microsoft vs NSA scandal which my point was about in the first place.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It might be near the end for the Rimmers, but with Nokia's smartphone biz being bought by Microsoft they ain't going nowhere.

Although I'm pretty sure it will slow development down, Microsoft seem to have more cogs in their internal mechanisms than many companies. Perhaps this will change with the layoffs?

3. Roger B

Not in the UK store either

Doesn't look like it's available this side of the pond.

1. davidp231

Re: Not in the UK store either

It's here, just restricted to who can download it. Those picked will be allowed to download it from the store. Anyone else trying to will just get a message saying they don't have permission.

4. Zack Mollusc
    Windows

no apps

Imagine if all the parking meter attendants, petty beaurocrats, cold call salesmen, gatso camera operators, and all the other people who have blighted your existance for years got together and launched a mobile phone.

They may also think that the lack of apps is what is deterring you from giving them your money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: no apps

"Imagine if all the parking meter attendants, petty beaurocrats, cold call salesmen, gatso camera operators, and all the other people who have blighted your existance for years got together and launched a mobile phone."

Yes, we know about Jolla....

5. AMBxx Silver badge

>>Blackberry Refugees

Have a Q10 and an Lumia 520. Put a keyboard on a Lumia and I'll sell the Q10.

Q10 is a lovely phone, just wish I could disable BBM so that it would stop randomly eating all the battery overnight.

1. typeo

Re: >>Blackberry Refugees

Not sure how BBM is managing that, I'm easily getting 2 days of use from a full charge on my Q10 and can go into the 3rd day before having to plug it in with plenty of BBM and SMS use. YouTube use tends to hammer the battery though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"just wish I could disable BBM so that it would stop randomly eating all the battery overnight."

You sure you're not leaving WIFI switched on overnight? My Z10 battery lasts for nearly a couple of days with WIFI switched off. With WIFI on, it gets chewed up real quick.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Most nights it's fine. Then all of a sudden BBM goes nuts downloading and uploading. If I turn off WIFI, it just runs up the mobile bill.

No contacts in BBM (never used), so no idea what's going on.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Lawsuits in Motion

God, I'm glad to see them dying slowly and painfully.

7. tirk
    FAIL

Marriage made in hell

Polished Turd, meet Pig in Lipstick.

Sadly I suspect I know some corporate "IT professionals" who will actually like this!

8. Yugguy

Meh.

I'm as interested in this as I was in the push, a few years back, for Office Communicator (Messenger, be honest). Lots of managers getting very excited over it.

9. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

Microsoft FAIL

A messaging app whose popularity is waning, now available on a platform nobody wants. Dinosaurs mating.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like