back to article WiGag war: Tiny low-power chip promises mobes 4.6Gbps Wi-Fi

The quest to kill video and IO cables with super-fast wireless connections is an old one. Now chip companies are gearing up for another push using the 802.11ad standard – aka WiGig – to scrap wires and carry data over the air at multi-gigabit-a-second speeds. Today, one such biz, Nitero, reckons its new hardware will …

1. William Donelson

Fingers crossed

Since USB3 interferes so badly with WiFi and 2.4 GHz wireless devices, I am hoping this new standard will actually be reliable at 60 GHz without being polluted by other devices, or interfering with them in turn.

Are there other devices which operate commonly in the 60 GHz range? Or have significant harmonics there? Medical devices?

1. Dr Trevor Marshall
      FAIL

Re: Fingers crossed - Medical devices in 60GHz ISM band

There are a number of Eastern European medical devices in the WiGig frequency range which use nanowatts of power to affect the nerves and brain. They mostly evolved from USSR research. We may have gotten away with Wifi so far, no real evidence of negative interactions with human beings (so far), but IMO there is a disaster looming at WiGig frequencies and powers. So, as you say, "cross fingers."

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

60mm sqa?

That's a bloody big chip, for a phone only 70mm wide... did you mean 60sq mm?

3. Ragarath

60GHz! Are we all standing right next to the transmitter?

Can someone correct me if I am wrong please. At 60GHz, would the wavelength not have trouble penetrating objects. Let alone it's propogation.

So you need line of sight for this to work reliably?

1. asdf

Re: 60GHz! Are we all standing right next to the transmitter?

Based on how finicky the much lower frequency 5GHz on my Nyrius Aries Home (sends an uncompressed HDMI signal wirelessly around the house at up to 2.5GBps) is you have a point. It can basically do maybe 75 feet max LOS and at most one inner house wall where the range is significantly worse (basically 30 feet). It also will interfere with my 5GHz router bridge if its too close to the unit. Still for lag free gaming on a TV or projector in another room from the console I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

2. P. Lee

Re: 60GHz! Are we all standing right next to the transmitter?

>So you need line of sight for this to work reliably?

I'd doubt that's too hard. Mostly you'll want to sit in front of the telly with your phone and use the phone as a remote.

This isn't for general in-house networking, but fast sync and video display. Few people use 4k video, so the extra bandwidth mostly helps cope with interference. However, being able to properly use my 27' screen from a mobile device sounds nice. It might even allow desktop apps on a phone...

I might settle for a magnetic-connected optical link + power cable rather than running down the battery, though.

4. Steven Raith

Pff..

"It's a tradeoff between cost and performance in the early stages of the market," he said. "You remember when 802.11n came out the first products were simple 2x2 antenna systems."

Most non-premium consumer gear is still barely that...

5. Vector

Austin, huh?

Well, I guess they're well positioned to sue the pant off everyone!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like