back to article What's that burning tire smell? It's Microsoft screeching away from the No-IP car crash

Microsoft has settled its legal fight with Vitalwerks, the owner of the No-IP dynamic DNS service that Redmond crippled last week. Last week Microsoft was granted a temporary restraining order against No-IP – and was handed control of 23 of its domains after convincing a Nevada judge that the DDNS service was acting as a …

1. NP-Hardass

If only...

I know that i'm using them as a free service, but I'd like to see No-IP offer me some compensation for the down time (obviously Microsoft would be responsible). Upgrade to premium service for a couple of months or just disable the nagging login requirement for a little while. I mean, once they finally got my account up and running again, I received an email saying that my domain (which was confirmed active not more than a week before the lockout) was canceled from inactivity. They just had some major bugs on their end with the whole ordeal and my feelings on their reactions to the customers (albeit some non-paying) was one of lack of care.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Behemoth regrets

What more do you want. Flying chairs?

2. DavCrav

Re: If only...

"I know that i'm using them as a free service, but I'd like to see No-IP offer me some compensation for the down time (obviously Microsoft would be responsible)."

OK, you get double your money back.

1. frank ly

I'm paying £17 a year for the enhanced service, so I'd like to see a pro-rata compensation from Microsoft. Additionally, there should be compensation for disruption to my legitimate use of my subdomain followed by damages for publicly associating me with criminal activity, personal inconvenience, mental anguish and emotional distress and ....er, ... that's how the legal system works isn't it?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think you, and every other user of the service should take Microsoft to small-claims court. I'm sure 4 million cases would keep their attorney's busy for quite some time.

1. Maty
            Headmaster

"keep their attorney's busy"

Remember, every time you use an apostrophe to make a plural, somewhere a little puppy dies.

Unless Microsoft's attorney has a 'busy' (which I imagine to be a small grey toupee) and he's going to hand it over to someone to keep for a bit.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I think you, and every other user of the service should take Microsoft to small-claims court."

Tortuious interference with contract?

It might fly - IF you were a paying customer.

1. Ross K Silver badge
              Holmes

Tortuious interference with contract?

It might fly - IF you were a paying customer.

The No-IP ToS is here: http://www.noip.com/legal/tos

(Caps are their doing, not mine.)

No-IP SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES RELATED TO THE ServiceS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION: 1) ANY WARRANTIES CONCERNING THE AVAILABILITY, ACCURACY OR CONTENT OF INFORMATION, PRODUCTS OR ServiceS; AND 2) ANY WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THIS DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY APPLIES TO ANY DAMAGES OR INJURY CAUSED BY ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DELETION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER VIRUS, COMMUNICATION LINE FAILURE, THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO, ALTERATION OF, OR USE OF RECORD, WHETHER FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORTIOUS BEHAVIOR, NEGLIGENCE, OR UNDER ANY OTHER CAUSE OF ACTION

In short: get lost, valued customer

2. Tom 13

@ frank ly

Yes it is. You should file suit against MS. Maybe find some friends to join in a class action suit. And the secret settlement between the two should be irrelevant to your charges against MS as you were injured separately from their injury against NoIP.

3. Ross K Silver badge
      Mushroom

@ NP-Hardass

I know that i'm using them as a free service, but I'd like to see No-IP offer me some compensation for the down time (obviously Microsoft would be responsible). Upgrade to premium service for a couple of months or just disable the nagging login requirement for a little while

That right there is what's wrong with this planet.

Everybody's got such a huge sense of entitlement, even if they're getting something for fuck all.

Pay for a fixed IP you cheap bastard.

2. Cipher

Did it ever cross anyone's mind in Redmond...

...to have a chat with the folks at NO-IP *before* they pulled the trigger?

They may have worked this out and avoided the embarassment...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Did it ever cross anyone's mind in Redmond...

You don't expect common sense from microsoft do you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You don't expect common sense from lawyers do you?"

FTFY

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

They probably did, and just as assuredly No-IP told 'em to FRO. Just like when you call a bank and tell them their ATM has a skimmer on it. They laugh and hang up.

1. John Tserkezis

"Just like when you call a bank and tell them their ATM has a skimmer on it. They laugh and hang up."

Our banks have much more composure than that. Here they say "We'll take that under advisement" - once you get past the multi-stage automated phone menu that is.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Just like when you call a bank and tell them their ATM has a skimmer on it. They laugh and hang up.

That's why I did a good Samaritan action and ripped the fucking thing clean off the machine.

Turns out the fucking thing in question was actually an anti-skim device they had installed earlier that day. It looked dodgy as hell though. :-/

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Same as cloudflare who won't do anything about spam and scam sites running on their infrastructure

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

If you have proof of that I know some people who would make things difficult for cloudflare.

3. Arachnoid

You bad bad No IP boys,,,,,,

Oh sorry your not bad after all, here have your stuff back and some baksheesh if you sign this waiver............[exit stage left]

4. bigtimehustler

Haha, Microsoft know the messed this one up big time and knew they would lose a court case filed against them on this. Much the same as if I claimed the windows and microsoft domain names because they are enabling malware to spread by selling windows. Thats as much the same as stating that this company shouldn't offer sub domains because it helps spread malware. A side effect of a legitimate business does not give another company the right to come in and remove your property and ability to carry out business.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WtF

Since when was Microsoft a law enforcement agency?

If I recall correctly a judge allowed MS to present evidence and then carry out a sentence! This is an appalling state of affairs.

Anyone give a shit that a corporation was allowed to do this?

Cheers

Jon

1. svim

Re: WtF

MS screwed up in a major way and as usual it looks like it will escape getting any kind of legal slap-down by tossing money at the situation. Hate those 'undisclosed' settlements and their accompanying non-disclosure orders. MS may be able to pay off VitalWerks in this matter but hopefully there will be a class-action suit brought by all those affected individuals.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, see my post above. A single class-action suit wouldn't hurt them as much as 4 million small-claims damage suits.

1. Tom 13

Re: 4 million small-claims damage suits.

which is why their lawyers would then apply for the class action status.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: 4 million small-claims damage suits.

Class action is not allowed in a significant number of countries - and in most which do allow it, small claims actions can't be pulled into a class action by the respondant.

2. Christoph

I wonder what Microsoft will be doing with all the log files that track the activities of innocent third parties trying (and failing) to look up legitimate domains?

6. Captain DaFt

Oh the irony!

Imagine the poor souls that shied away from Windows, eschewed all MS products and services, only to discover that Microsoft can still trash their computing experience!

7. NeilPost

Dumbass Judge

Wondering how Microsoft managed to convince a dumb judge to do this - same judge as rules on Apple Patent claims ?

1. Fatman
      FAIL

Re: Dumbass Judge

Everyone seems to have missed the point - Microsoft managed to convince a judge to sign that order.

The judge is the one who signed the order, if (s)he is incapable of understanding tech issues, then why should (s)he remain on the bench?

What should now occur is an examination of the evidence submitted, and if it does not pass muster, then proceedings should begin to remove that judge from office, and possibly have (her) him disbarred.

And if the evidence was 'weak' to begin with, then the lawyers at Microsoft ought to face discipline for their abuse of the legal process.

1. Tom 13

Re: then proceedings should begin to remove that judge

I don't think you even need to go that far. NoIP was not given a chance to defend itself before its property was seized. That's patently unconstitutional, and the judge should be booted.

8. damian fell

Too late - I moved all services to changeip.com last Tuesday - no point going back, and I bet I'm not the only customer who jumped ship.

The good thing about DNS service providers is that there is still a competetive market out there, so finding alternative providers is quick and easy, and you are only limited by the TTL settings of your CNAMEs.

9. Leo-pinkus-pantherus

Who gives a shit?

I know I don't....

10. Nathan Brathahn
    Joke

You'll get a 3 months azure subscription to compesate for the inconvenience.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"You'll get a 3 months azure subscription to compesate for the inconvenience."

If you are good at negotiating you might get t down to a month !

11. Rick Giles

Class Action

Sounds like you Vitalwerks customers need to band together against MS.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The reason why...

http://www.unchartedbackwaters.co.uk/pyblosxom/microsoft_noip_dos has a nice write-up about how Microsoft broke it.

13. sammy_mac

a No-IP customer... for now

Whether I renew with No-IP at the end of the year depends on how they handle this, and I hope that other customers are paying attention, as well. MS abused the legal system at our expense, and a judge was too lazy/stupid/negligent to do his job by properly reviewing the motion. Will Vitalwerks defend its customers, or will they sell us out for MS' hush money?

14. Donald Becker

In defense of the judge, they often only know what they are told.

They don't do independent research.

It appears that Microsoft attorneys made a claim that NoIP was part of the criminal activity, thus an 'ex parte' ruling was appropriate. They likely also made a claim that they would take responsibility for DNS responses for innocent third parties, thus no damage would occur should their claim turn out to be incorrect.

The judge looks at the claims of one of the world's largest companies, no doubt with the most prestigious lawyers that money can buy, and takes the claims at face value.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like