back to article Google's lounge room invasion advances with Chromecast upgrade

Google is making yet another attempt to get its content into televisions. The Chocolate Factory already offers Google TV, which is either baked into a TV or a set-top box and allows users to run Android apps, the Chrome browser and access content from the Play Store. There's also Android TV, which promises more or less the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big Brother is watching You.

2. frank ly

re. tellie

Is that the Australian spelling of 'telly'? This could be an interesting cultural difference.

3. Jyve

Works, kinda

Nexus7 2013, works kinda, seems to be dropping connection often. No lag when running though, some games, whilst connected, looked great on the big screen. Playable (though you find yourself looking down at the tablet anyway, so more a presentation thing!)

Wife's Nexus5 worked flawlessly. No lag, no dropouts. Both running standard OS, no random roms, so... not sure what's happening there.

Very impressive that the lag is... I'd guess, half a second, if that. Gaming is going to be possible on this casting. Gets strange when you go to watch a youtube clip, it'd make sense to ask if you want to keep doing it this way or use the standard chromecasting youtube method that's smoother.

For a beta, it's impressive. Hopefully the issues on the N7 get smoothed out, but early days yet.

Also wondering if/how it'll do it as a second screen, as shown under the dev settings, so you can 'throw' a game/something to the screen and still use the tablet perhaps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Works, kinda

Good info, but the this article needs to be corrected. First gen of Nexus 7 (2012?) isn't supported. Not sure why, maybe hardware isn't up to speed, I haven't done a side by side comparison of the two versions. Bummer because I hadn't found any purpose to buy a chromecast device. When I heard they were pushing to extend the screen of an Android device via the chromecast (kinda obvious IMO, why they didn't think of this earlier is beyond me) I was getting hopeful. but once I saw it only supported the later version of the Nexus I was disappointed.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just lay off with the adverts. I don't watch live TV due to not wanting to waste my valuable time with adverts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely if your time is THAT valuable you shouldn't be wasting any of it watching TV?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Wasting time watching TV

There are still a few things worth watching at the time they were first broadcast.

Watching Germany stuff Brazil was well worth it.

Pretty well everything else gets recorded by my PVR and if there are adverts then the 'skip' function soon gets past them.

Do I hear the Advertisers gnashing their teeth????

Well, I (and probably a good percentage of El-Reg readers) are simply not your target markets.

Us Grumpy old geezers are not the demographics you guys target (mostly) so I wouldn't get all hot and bothered over it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Time spent watching TV may be considered valuable by the viewer, probably valuable to the broadcaster (if you're watching their ads) or the content provider if pay per view, but to society in general there is no value.

5. John Tserkezis

Funny. In the last few years, I've gone out of my way to entirely and completely expunge all ads(*) and their form from my media centre, as well as how things are handled to minimise ad exposure on media that comes from more regular sources (TV and such).

And Google thinks their ads are an acceptable tradeoff for the crappy material?(**) Considering no-one else has managed to get this right, I'm going to remain sceptical to the point of ignoring them.

(*) This is not entirely true, I do in fact have a several saved ads (13 according to my movie database) that are "funnies", and have significant humour, shock or historic value. They're mostly obsolete or fictional, but they're great as "you gotta see this" when we have people over for parties...

(**) Of course not having seen any sample, I don't know the material is crappy, however, as per my statement, since no-one has been able to get the mix right to make it acceptable, I'm remaining sceptical.(***)

(***) Having visited family in Cyprus a couple of years ago, they mostly pack their TV ads between program wholes, not intermix them every ~10 minutes like they do here. As well as, no TV network watermarks and self-promotion ads pasted over program material. I found that significantly less intrusive, and oddly enough (for me) I was at least a little less likely to shun the ads when they were showing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have an Android device, I have Chromecast, I have a telly.

I use it to watch Netflix. (Archer season 5 at the moment... Lana, LANA, LANA!!!!!!!)

My wife uses it to watch RTVE (Spanish national broadcaster)

Guess how many Ads we've seen.

None.

Too many people on the net talking too much crap.

6. malleeMan

Do Google get your Tv viewing habits as well?

Is it possible that Google uses Chromecast to phone home your TV viewing habits to the mother ship and then aggregates them with your online browsing habits, your email correspondence and your YouTubing?

So maybe watching TV was no longer anonymous if you use the cheap and cheerful Chromecast thing-a-me-bob?

What a perfect consumer profile they'd have of your whole family if they can do that! What do you reckon - could they actually make money selling that kind of info? Surely Google wouldn't do that sort of thing without telling us . . . would they?

7. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like