back to article Samsung in Brazilian strip: Robbers snatch $6.3m in gear from plant

Armed robbers have snatched $6.3m in smartphones, tablets and computers from the Samsung Electronics factory in São Paulo, Brazil. The bandits got into the complex by carjacking a shuttle used by factory employees, and held workers hostage while clearing out truckloads of loot, Reuters reported a spokesman for the state’s …

1. Mr_Pitiful

The gang all own Samsung kit then!

They need to keep replacing it because the battery life is so rubbish.

2. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

Point ?

"smartphones, tablets, and computers"

All of which are useless without an internet connection. Presumably Samsung have the serial nos etc. I wonder if they can detect the devices going online.

Same with my TV, whose serial number is registered with LG. Anyone nicks my TV, they'll have to use it in dumb mode.

Yes, there's always going to be workarounds for the odd case. But a truckload ?

One thing the IoT is going to bring, is a lot harder to shift consumer electronics.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Point ?

Not at all, they will be able to sell it. The IoT actually makes it easier; the buyer won't realize it until after they have bought it. The gang was very organized and was probably an inside job as someone needed inside knowledge of the layout, number of security guards, etc.

The bigger question, does Samsung blacklist the serial numbers so that the buyer of them is screwed or does Samsung just allow them to be used as a goodwill to the buyer? If Samsung blacklists them, the buyer gets a bad experience and blames Samsung.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Same with my TV, whose serial number is registered with LG. Anyone nicks my TV, they'll have to use it in dumb mode."

It is really not hard to change the broadcast Serial Number of a TV via a modified firmware...A gang with the resources to pull off a heist of this size without anyone getting hurt will easily be able to find someone capable of doing this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If the firmware is signed this might be more difficult than you think.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tim Cozinheiro Maçã Gang strikes again?

They are behind this... I'm sure :-)

4. Peter Storm

"the loot might be worth up to $36m, Samsung put the price much lower at $6.3m"

$6.3m manufacturing cost price. $36m selling price.

1. Vic

Re: "the loot might be worth up to $36m, Samsung put the price much lower at $6.3m"

> $6.3m manufacturing cost price. $36m selling price.

Nah. That's $36m "street vallue".

Nice to see cop estimates are the same the world over...

Vic.

5. Tom 38

Inside job

Definitely knew which truck would have the easily shifted consumer tech in and not big bulky washing machines.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Inside job

They were also there for four hours; I'm sure that helped as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like