back to article IDC busts out new converged systems charts, crowns Oracle as Platform King

IDC's numerical navel-gazers have delved into integrated systems and found out that Oracle's engineered systems are crapping all over everybody else and FlexPod is winning out over VCE. The IDC quants separate out Integrated platforms, like Oracle's engineered systems, from Integrated infrastructures, like VCE's Vblocks. Here …

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Yeah, we use Oracle's "solution" here.

Whenever it has decided to work, that is. It's one of the most fickle, unreliable system I've ever seen. "hit refresh until it works" is part of the SOP at almost every step...

1. Billl

Re: Yeah, we use Oracle's "solution" here.

Nice generic terms here. Please provide specific examples, or we must assume that you are making up your experience.

I have not seen a Customer Satisfaction Survey for Oracle's Integrated Systems, but the fact that this segment is growing, and Oracle is growing faster than everyone else (except HP, as they started at a miniscule base point), tells me that their products work, and work well.

Your input is really rather dubious on it's face.

2. JeffTravis
    Trollface

Those IDC numbers

For integrated platforms is just a cut and paste of the list price per unit....

3. DanDanDan

Is oracle is queen...

Does that explain why all its mistakes have been royal cock-ups?

4. spiny norman

For comparison?

You can't really compare a market share ranking with a magic quadrant.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional

hands up all those customers who acquired their Oracle engineered system after a license audit - is how we got ours and I know of two others !!!!!!

6. PowerMan@thinksis

Article is misleading as this is Apples vs Oranges

Unfortunately IDC might as well be tracking snipe if we are to believe this. IBM's 25 year old iSeries platform is the iconic integrated platform. As a seller of the iSeries I am confident the numbers they show for IBM are far from accurate and not shown in their data or would be far greater than Oracle's "Integrated Platform". They don't disclose what they do represent in the article or at IDC's website or in their press release at http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24963914. My guess is it represents IBM's PureApplication and maybe PureData only. Also, I've yet to give away a iSeries to a customer but have several customers where Oracle has given them an "Exa*" product to seed it. Can't help but wonder how much of their numbers represent these free and cheap x86 white boxes loaded with software that is free when delivered and doesn't cost the customer until they start paying 22% maintenance on all of those x86 cores on year 1....but at least it is only with a core factor of .5!

Also, while I'm at it, VCE nor FlexPod are not converged technologies by definition of "convergence". Just because they plug EMC storage into a Cisco switch which connects to a UCS chassis then install VMware on a UCS node is NO different than taking a V+C+E solution and doing the same thing. Vendors and partners have been integrating technologies for years so VCE is doing nothing novel. The only technology stack that was truly "converged" was IBM's PureSystems with its Flex chassis, integrated management, integrated server nodes, integrated storage nodes, integrated SAN & Ethernet switches that all communicate inside the Flex chassis. The next technology that is more converged than VCE or FlexPod is IBM's Power servers. With their integrated hypervisor and ability to bring Ethernet & SAN into the server then share among hundreds of VM's to multiple OSes, with internal firewalls, encryption, management, etc. IDC demonstrates they do not understand the available technology and instead buys into the hype of these aggressive marketing machines.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon