back to article SolidRun pitches upgradeable SBC into the IoT fray

Another single-board contender has emerged to challenge the Raspberry Pi's title as lightweight champion of the world, with a pitch that it supports processor and memory upgrades in a single-board-computer form factor. SolidRun is offering a 1 GHz ARM v7 processor as the base level CPU on a new HummingBoard board, which it …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone else find that company name scatological or is it just my own filthy mind?

2. Salts

OK, I admit ...

I am an RPi fan, however I have looked at the faster, better, greater options, that are in 'competition' with RPi, problem is they don't quite get the energy that the pi foundation puts into the RPi, the whole 'package' is what makes it different, disruptive and IMHO better than the rest.

Before Arduino fans jump in, I am also a fan of Arduino, RPi and Arduino complement each other and they both have communities that bring even more to the party.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it time for a Register round-up of little arm SBCs?

I like the Pi for hardware Hacking, and ODROID U3 for power. Does anyone have any other favorites?

4. thomaskwscott

Cheap Chinese Androids

I've never really got the raspberry Pi. It's a nice device but quite frankly it's expensive for what it is. You're going to run out of computing power pretty quick if you want to use it for anything slightly resource intensive. I have been messing with Chinese android sticks for a while now and find them much better, for around £30 you get a dual core 1Ghz A9 with 1GB of ram (for £45 you can have quad core and 2GB). Some of them have pretty decent communities too and run Ubuntu see http://home.g8.net/ (the site is hosted on a RK3066).

5. DropBear
    Facepalm

Oh, good...

I see they painstakingly duplicated the RPi's mind-numbingly horrid I/O layout. Brilliant! It's like the Arduino's mis-stepped 0.1" headers all over again...

6. James Boag

RE Cheap Chinese Androids

I have tried these Android sticks and they are good if you want to run android on your telly, But the pi lets you play in the "real" world. The GPIO is the killer PI function, My first attempt was a Doorbell (ok 1 switch) but it's been running for well over a year now, Plays AC/DC when pressed (Don't you have a sub woofer on your doorbell) tweets Just coz it can and pushes a message to my phone. all completely useless functionality, but functionality that i can build my self, Now im working on switching 12 volt dc supplies to control the lighting on my fishtank. learning electronics and never board. as for the comment about the same pinout on the GPIO great i can use this without redesigning my hardware, Think apple (ooohgh i know) but iplop dock are everywhere as their just the one (ish) to implement.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like