back to article LG drops G3 quad HD Android mobe with FRIGGIN' LASER camera

LG is releasing its new G3 smartphone today. It’s a large device made slim and comfortable by clever design, and is distinguished by a mind-boggling screen, and a superb camera. It’s let down only by hardware buttons, which can be a challenge to locate with accuracy, and the software execution, which hasn’t really tamed Android …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge

"let the resolution wars begin"

Goodness, I hope not. I want cheaper, longer lasting handsets of a reasonable size.

4.5" - 4.7" 1280×720.

2. jolly

£480 RRP

FML

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: £480 RRP

Yep. 1.5 laptops. Sure, I get that smartphones are very powerful nowadays, have OpenGL ES, etc. and in a tiny, compact, power-saving unit, etc.

But give me a £10 Tesco special and a real laptop any day.

2. BillG
      Happy

They had me at "removable battery". I can't wait until it's rooted.

1. joejack

Same, though I'm also curious to see how battery life holds up once rooted.

3. Sarev

Why 3000mAh?

Why do people insist on writing 3000mAh - why not 3Ah? It'd save all that extra typing - phew - I need a brew after that.

1. Rocket_Rabbit
      Paris Hilton

Re: Why 3000mAh?

Yeah, industry standard of big numbers.

Flywheel horsepower instead of wheel horsepower

Bits instead of bytes

Even AMD labelled their old Athon procs 2500+ when they were running at 1.8GHz.

Unfortunately, if you asked the average consumer how many milliamps were in an amp, do you think they'd know?!

2. AceRimmer

Standardisation of measurement units through convention.

if you were measuring the dimensions several objects, e.g. furniture you would not want to keep switching between mm, cm and m. It would just be confusing.

Batteries of this ilk are normally measured in mAh, the question is what compelling reason is there to break from convention?

3. Corin

Why not 3A? Well the capacity is probably measured at a tremendously slow rate of discharge. Thanks to Peukert's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law) the relationship between joules delivered and rate of discharge is not linear.

Therefore a 3000mAh battery might only be able to sustain a current draw of 1 Amp for half an hour* rather than the 3 hours a linear relationship might suggest.

*I made this up, did no maths at all to provide that number.

1. Piro Silver badge

Should really be watt-hours anyway, or joules, to be specific.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thing is, Sony used to have the same laser-grid focusing on it's cameras (it was brilliant) - until it ran afoul of EU regulations on laser pointers, etc. This phone may fall into the same trap.

1. DropBear

So, erm....

...is it legal to take a picture of a landing airplane near an airport with this phone, or do you get locked away forever for laser zapping...?

1. Mage Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: So, erm....

Well, I'd not try it in Turkey even with Laser off. Especially if you are Greek.

Insert other Countries and Nationalities of choice.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Pint

nice review

Have once of these for including a 'fart' app instead of a 'cat video' -->>

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never quite got the point of charging pads. Is it that much more difficult to plug it in?

1. jason 7

Once you've used one for a while, plugging in a cable does seem a bit old fashioned and a faff.

One of those little things you have to try to realise the benefit.

Its no fun if that pathetically feeble micro USB port breaks too!

2. tentimes

They are handy - you can lift your phone on or off them with one hand. Think lying in bed listening to an audiobook and wanting to lift your phone to do something, or, having one on your desk and being able to lift off with one hand and not having to fanny about with it. Once you have one you will wonder why you didn't get it earlier ;)

1. Bassey

Plus plenty of phones today are coming with covers over the charge port for waterproofing. Fannying about with one of those rather than just putting the phone down just makes life easier - and isn't that what technology is (supposed to be) about?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Fair points. Wasn't being facaetious. At least not intentionally.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed that the wireless charging is nice... but what if you want to use it laying in bed while it is charging? I often do, and am careful not to pull the cord.

I mean, I assume I'd still have the option to plug it in too, but just making the point that wireless isn't ALWAYS better, even though it is most of the time.

3. Mikel

Charging ports are vulnerable

They can be broken, corroded, shorted. Wireless is a nice option to have. Can't say how many Android tabs my kids have gone through on this issue.

4. I am not spartacus

Here's a use case for you: if you are using your phone as a Sat Nav, and particularly in the cold and dark, if the Sat Nav is to save you time overall - not an unreasonable objective - you'll want the device to be in Sat Navving mode as close to immediately as po0ssible. And, given that Sat Nav mode tends to be relatively heavy on the juice, you'll also want it on charge immediately, if you have a significant journey.

So, you'll say 'Voila, probably solved with wireless phone charging'. That said, I don't know of any in-car wireless chargers, though presumably those are coming. (Again, I suspect it will really take off once Apple innovates on an iThingy, and 'invents' it..)

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

In-car wireless charging

Plenty of generic dashboard or windscreen phone holders with Qi coils built in on eBay.

I modified the phone tray in my car by gluing the guts of a Qi charging pad underneath instead. Very pleasing, I hate having wires trailing all over the place.

GJC

7. stucs201
    Facepalm

Hard to find volume buttons on either side of the power button?

Seems perfectly sensible. After all its not like that could cause any problems when you need to adjust the volume in call.

Oh, wait a minute...

1. Danny 14

Re: Hard to find volume buttons on either side of the power button?

I don't think ive ever had the volume on anything other than maximum on any of my phones ever. From nokia 6230, palms, SE's, omnias, SG2 etc. This might change with headphones in but ive never found the volume loud enough.

Too many rock concerts probably.

8. Mage Silver badge

Interesting

Can I get a 15" laptop with this resolution screen?

In terms of typing text with an external USB or BT real keyboard how many lines and columns (approx) is possible at normal paperback book font size or a little larger?

My Sony-Ericsson Xperia though refuses to wear out.

9. Ol' Grumpy

After LG's privacy SNAFU with their TV's, I put them on my blacklist of people never to buy from again and then they release this ... bugger ....

10. b166er

Love the first picture, showing the STILL non-responsive Reg site :D

Wait... what year is this?

11. Mr.Mischief

Get an LG G2 and install a custom ROM

I have a G2, and installed a custom ROM that someone ported from the G3. So I have pretty much the G3's UI, on a G2.

If you have already gotten used to a G2, its a little easier to get used to this one. But if you are coming from a different phone, I can understand the writer's sentiments that it takes some getting used to.

12. DMP58
    FAIL

Interesting phone but not original

Obviously, someone didn't do their homework or they would have seen that the OPPO Find 7 (released before this LG) has the same or maybe better specs.

And after them screwing around their customers (via the network operator) with the LG Optimus 2X (P999) promising newer ROMs for the phone, I personally will never buy or recommend LG (any product) to anyone ever. Never ever!

Sorry Andrew. you may be blinded by LG's sparkle, but based on their previous history, this phone will be an orphan very quickly.

1. Mikel

Re: Interesting phone but not original

Availability. For as well as you can get them they might as well have called that the Oppo Can't Find 7.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"you may be blinded by LG's sparkle, but based on their previous history, this phone will be an orphan very quickly."

But who do you go to that has an unimpeachable track record on supporting devices for even eighteen months after last retail availability? I can't think of anybody in the market that hasn't orphaned a recent handset. Apple appear to have the best track record on that, but there's a heavy price to pay, both in cash, and limitations on device specification.

3. I am not spartacus

You may have a very valid point about how LG deals with their customers, or at least it is a point of view that I have heard before for TV products. On the other hand, development will have started on this phone at least 18 months ago, and at that time, LG will not have had intelligence about what OPPO was going to do.

13. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Ré Power/Volume Buttons

I presume those photos were taken after vigorous scrubbing of the lens cover - as it is going to be covered in grubby finger marks from trying to feel for the right button right next to it.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Call quality

There is a brief mention of it on page 3, in case you missed it. :-)

15. famulla

IT

Enable your employees to buy Obamacare? You told YOUR employees that yet, Mark? Buy that mumbo-jumbo mess of plans that cost 3X higher than BCBS-are you kidding me? You've already seen Med Plans handled by Government-and how poorly they perform-see our sad sack Military state of affairs.

Now-sending employees to a BCBS TRUSTED NON-FRAUDULENT-ADDLED web site or whatever with like a promise of 50% support, that would be an okay benefit.

But selling your best assets-people-up the river to Obamacare-it ain't happening-you thought the lines were long at the V.A's-and you still have a massive-ahem-'underprivileged' portion of our poulation who thinks they're going to waltz in to a hospital like they do for free diapers and other assorted WIC goodies-and get the latest Bio, Transplants, Gene Therapy. Somebody better wake you pathetic Democrats up soon-very soon.

16. envmod

This is an excellent phone, be in no doubt

Despite having some misgivings after reading some average reviews of this phone from the usual tech sites, I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. This is a fantastic phone - it definitely feels "premium", has a knock-out screen which has wowed everyone who has seen it, great sound (through the built-in speaker and also when headphones are plugged in - loud and detailed, lots of range and dynamics). The look, feel and operation of this phone is as good as any I have had (I upgraded from an HTC One and have previously has iPhone 3G, 4 and 4S) if not better. The camera is superb - the automatic macro feature in particular is very impressive. The rear mounted buttons work a treat. Would not hesitate to recommend this - if you're looking for something a bit different, that not everybody has, go for the LG G3, you will not regret it - don't listen to any of the negative stuff about build quality, or the screen being "too sharp" (wtf)... it's bloody good all round.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like