back to article Foxconn to take on 100 THOUSAND workers prior to iPhone 6 launch

Foxconn is preparing for the release of the iPhone 6 by embarking upon a huge hiring spree. A report from Reuters indicates Foxconn, aka Hon Hai Precision Industry, is looking to expand its workforce by up to 100,000 people. Production of the latest iPhone is due to begin next month, with the Taiwanese reports suggesting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not designed anything new?

It seems unlikely they haven't designed anything new, but designing != releasing for Apple. They aren't exactly known for their wide product portfolio, after all. It's been four years since the iPad, three years before that to the iPhone, six years before that to the iPod. If they release an iWatch (or whatever new product) within the next year, they'll be keeping to their (frustratingly, for analysts who like to have stuff to write about) slow pace of releasing new products only when they think they're ready.

Remember, they had the iPad ready before the iPhone was, but they needed to wait for technology to catch up to be able to offer what they wanted to offer at the price they wanted to offer it at (remember all the pre-iPad rumors that it would cost $1000 or more?)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

But...

It will have a "6" on it.

The Buzzgasm will be larger than the Big Bang.

Silly Reg - not seeing "innovation" when it drops from the sky onto their heads and wraps it's tentacles around their faces.

3. johnnymotel

seriously!

"slow pace of releasing new products only when they think they're ready."

If you were a large, multi-national company, producing consumer items would you?? Do you see Mercedes, Audi or BMW bringing out new models with bits a paint missing, odd tyres, ill-fitting interiors....etc etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: seriously!

"Do you see Mercedes, Audi or BMW bringing out new models with bits a paint missing, odd tyres, ill-fitting interiors..."

Mercedes did just that a few years back when the put to much emphasis on implementing new technology that they forgot about making it reliable, or the quality of anything else on the car.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: seriously!

And coincidently started building everything in Alabama, or somewhere with no auto unions, instead of in Germany.

4. Paul Bartlett

Yes they have release new stuff since Steve died.

The completely awesome new Mac Pro. This is groundbreaking. (and wallet busting)

Or else are our journalists expecting a revolutionary product every year! Get real man.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Just because the Apple marketing department puts "revolutionary" in front of a word, does not mean it is.

Bringing out a 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen because Samsung already has one isn't revolutionary. My HTC One has a 1080 screen res. THAT's revolutionary.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Oooh urr, i think you meant evolutionary instead of revolutionary. Case in point:

Revolutionary: Let's make the worlds first phone which can be operated without buttons and build a whole operating system and eco system based on this.

Evolutionary: Let's upgrade that 1 million pixel display to a 1.5 million pixel display.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, come off it.

Really ? They've built Intel chippery and AMD (or is it nVidia) into a thrash can package, locked it an threw away the key.

I'll give you the case design, but bar the presentation there is absolutely nothing groundbreaking about it.

3. Duke2010

Wallet busting but not groundbreaking.

5. Robert E A Harvey

So Hang on

... the most complex one so far (almost by definition) and probably the most expensive, is going to be built by 100,000 agricultural labourers dragged out of the fields at the very last minute? Doesn't bode well for reliablility that.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: So Hang on

The hard bits are built by Samsung and then assembled by a bunch of Siemens pick-place machines.

The peasants are just putting them in boxes

6. John Tserkezis

To cater for the new staff, are they building new balconies for people to throw themselves off? Or are they retraining their security staff to be not-so-heavy-handed?

Sorry, too soon?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It sounds like my employer

They hire 100 people in the hope that one is willing to put up with the terrible working conditions and low pay.

I am talking about the line operators. I am at a higher level.

Just 'cause I knew someone would ask why I am still there.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

India

That's the problem with India - Unions and democracy. It's much easier in China to exploit factory workers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like