back to article Space station 'nauts will use URINE-FUELLED ESPRESSO MACHINE

A critical issue standing between humanity and its manifest future - that is to say, the availability of decent coffee in space - has been solved with the invention of an espresso machine which it's planned to send up to the International Space Station (ISS), groan-inducingly dubbed the ISSpresso. Italian astronauts Paolo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Coen Dijkgraaf
    Joke

Infinite Improbability Drive?

I thought a good hot cup of tea is what you needed for interstellar travel.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive?

But not one coming out of a coffee machine!

1. Euripides Pants

"But not one coming out of a coffee machine!"

It would be improbable...

2. Paratrooping Parrot

You do realise that you will render the ship useless as it's processing tea!

3. ACNherb

Rather than a good hot cup of pee, you mean?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Presumably this will be big in the American market. They are already used to drinking piss from a bottle....

1. Euripides Pants

Not all necessarily, there are still plenty of of us who stick with vodka.

2. Mpeler
    Paris Hilton

Almost, but not completely unlike....

"The machine's saving grace may be that it is said to be capable of making other beverages, such as tea or even broth. The latter sounds rather sensible: a nutrient-rich capsule that could be turned into a simple meal sounds like a handy way to reduce the amount of food that needs to be hauled aloft. ®"

Ah, yes, something that tastes almost, but not completely, unlike tea.....:)

Or, to quote a long-extinct Bloom County comic strip: "In space, it's never Miller Time"....(problem with a carbonated beverage in a vacuum....unintended propulsion, etc.)...

Paris, because she has espresso before prosecco, and her means of propulsion are often quite expensive too....

1. Mpeler
      Pint

Re: Almost, but not completely unlike....

On the other hand, it looks like Keurig may have beaten them to it (via Think Geek, erm, on 01.04....)

Keurig K-cup™ 5-Star Meals... :) Gotta love them CornDogs....with a salad on the side...

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Almost, but not completely unlike....

There may be problems with carbonated beverages in the micro-gravity environment of the ISS, but if it's in a vacuum I'd say that's the least of the 'nauts' worries!

3. Chairo
    Pint

Sounds good!

Hot steam released in a confined space at zero gravity - what could possibly go wrong? That said, it is good to see, that the elementary needs are being taken care of. Diversity rules!

Beer - hope they'll send a brewery up next time.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Sounds good!

Beer - hope they'll send a brewery up next time.

Bindun!

4. as2003

I estimate that...

...sending 20kg by Falcon-9 to low Earth orbit (where the ISS resides) comes to about $80,000.

I also estimate that the cost of an espresso from that machine would be comparable to London prices.

1. Mark 85

Re: I estimate that...

Ok.. $80,000 for shipping coffee maker/espresso machine. Kinda' pricey in my book (the shipping at least). So questions:

Does it do latte?

Figure $4000 per kg to ship one kg of coffee... French roast or Starbuck's finest?

What do they do with the grounds? Send them back? Toss them out the window?

1. WraithCadmus
        Boffin

What do they do with the grounds? Send them back? Toss them out the window?

Compost for the hydroponics obviously.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Compost for the hydroponics obviously. " Unfortunately it sounds like its a 'pod' machine, so no composting here, just more plastic to throw away...

What they really need is a decent bean to sippy-cup (well you cant use a normal cup) machine, then the grounds can be used for compost in experiments!

2. Irongut

"French roast or Starbuck's finest?"

The point was to allow the 'nauts to make decent coffee. Why would they go anywhere near the swill that Starbucks laughingly call coffee?

1. Scroticus Canis
          Happy

@Irongut - " the swill that Starbucks laughingly call coffee"

Well they had to test the pISSpreso system somewhere! I also suspect that Baldric supplied the chocolate sprinkles.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
          Coat

Why would they go anywhere near the swill that Starbucks laughingly call coffee?

They'll be using recycled piss, so they're already halfway therel

5. Kernel
    FAIL

I don't think so.

So what they've actually developed is a coffee capsule machine that works in zero gravity - not really got a lot to do with espresso, quality or otherwise, has it?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now

If coffee scientists could just find there way to inventing a machine that means you can get a decent espresso in most high street coffee bars, then the world would be a happier place.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now

Its not just the machines, its the beans...

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

I await the arrival of the French.

"You call this "French Roast"?"

"No Monsieur, I call it the ISS"

8. PhilipJ

..and so they spent milions of euros developing an espresso machine that would work in space.

Meanwhile, the Russians used a modified AeroPress.

9. baalel
    Facepalm

In space...

Surely the Vacuum coffee maker would be more appropriate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_coffee_maker

10. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

ISS 'nauts have long been drinking water recycled from their own urine

As opposed to the inhabitants of Planet Earth who have been drinking water which has been recycled from urine for billions of years?

11. MrXavia

Suppliers to Lavazza?

So they still can't get a decent cup of coffee then....

12. The_H

Coffee made with recycled urine... Certain freeze-dried instant manufacturers have been doing this for years. Admittedly, it might be cat urine they use, but the principle's the same.

Certainly tastes like it, anyway.

13. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Why are they messing around with coffee?

When they could be making a Lapsang Souchong machine?

Just askin'...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Tomorrow's coffee made from yesterday's coffee...

Been drinking that for years, it's called office vending machine "coffee".

15. gskr
    Trollface

Branding fail

Was I the only one who saw the proposed name of this contraption (ISSpresso) and mentally add a "P" to the start?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Branding fail

I'm suprised that comment didn't get made sooner, to be honest, given the headline.

Lavazza coffee already tastes like it's been made with urine, or worse... but I'm not sure if that's because it's bad coffee or just that the Italians keep all the good stuff for their own consumption and export the dregs to the UK.

16. ciaran

What about the smell

Generally they test anything they send to space to make sure it has no smell. Which generally means it has no taste either. Half the attraction of express is the aroma. Nice in the morning, but you probably wouldn't want it to hang around all day.

17. Steve Evans

Recycled urine...

So what... I'm sure being part of urine was one of the less offensive solutions some of those molecules of H2O have been through.

18. lotus49

No-one should have to drink instant coffee. It's an abomination.

19. banjomike
    WTF?

They must be expecting trouble...

400 bar is 5800 pounds per square inch. Nespresso go up to 19 bar (with metal pipes).

20. JLV
    Coat

PISSpresso then?

I'll get me coat.

21. Zot

So? Water on Earth is recycled.

Now that's a lot of pissers from every species!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like