back to article Bloke squeezes Apple's boules, predicts millions of iPhone 6s, iWatches

Apple has enough sapphire glass within its grasp for two models of the iPhone 6, if one was to appear, as well as the semi-mythical iWatch, an independent analyst has claimed. Matt Margolis, of Wall Street Forensics, has scoped out GT Advanced Technologies, the firm tasked with operating Apple's sapphire factory in Mesa, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

I wonder how many he owns?

I do hope this chap isn't just indulging in stock pumping, by predicting higher earnings using pure guesswork. I wonder how many he owns?

1. Jim in Hayward

Re: I wonder how many he owns?

Well, if he's like me we own 7 times as many shares as we did last week. :-)

1. Vector

Re: I wonder how many he owns?

It's not your Apple shares that will benefit from this analysis. How many shares you got in GT Advanced Technologies?

2. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

Fascinatating...

Completely unknown person does sums on back of napkin about a company that's always being hyped up and get's his name and ego, and no doubt his portfolio, pumped up!

3. Vic

Doubling of earnings?

Sapphire glass might be lovely stuff, but I can't see Apple *doubling* its earnings with a new iPhone and a watch. That money's got to come from somewhere...

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doubling of earnings?

It's not Apple that is doubling revenue, it's the Sapphire Glass manufacturer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's neither

Just the windbag making the claims is hoping to double his money.

2. Arctic fox
      Happy

@Vic Re: "Doubling of earnings?" I agree, personally I think its a load of......

...........boules.

4. Tim Worstal

My word, how amazing

"which are making boules way bigger than anyone expected."

I'm sure someone or other pointed this out. Oh yes, last year:

"As the sapphire is made in ever fatter ingots, the price per kg will come down. Currently, at least with the pieces I've seen, it's about the shape and size of the sort of candle you might put on a dinner table. In the coming years we all expect it to get wider and wider, as silicon has done, fattening to the girth of a fat candle carried in the church parade all the way up to the "elephant's tampon girth" of current silicon ingots. We would also expect production costs to come down as they have with silicon: perhaps not a 10x reduction, but no one can see why a 3x or 4x wouldn't be achievable."

1. johnnymotel

Re: My word, how amazing

"Margolis notes that GT Advanced has installed more than 2,500 furnaces and is expected to work with sapphire boules that weigh between 200 and 235 kg"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Wow

"My latest supply chain check indicates that.."

Let me guess: he warmed one of his fingers in the hole where the sun never shines and put it to the air to check the wind.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Invalid Conclusion

He's basically saying they're making a lot of glass so that means they'll sell twice as many phones/devices? They made plenty of 5Cs... still collecting dust.

What's the lead time on the glass? I assume the production time is such that they'd need a sizeable lead-in of production to maintain the lifespan of the phone, even at "failure" sales levels.

Are they going to sell the glass to anyone else? Given that Apple doesn't actually make anything (except sapphire glass now apparently) I'd assume their suppliers like Sharp and LG would be interested in buying the glass for other products. Probably not going to play nice with Samsung, Google or Lenovo unless the price is vastly overpaid.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Invalid Conclusion

They made plenty of 5Cs... still collecting dust.

Citation please? I'd love to know where the fire sale might be....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile In other Apple news:

My latest investigation into the suppply chains indicates that Apple is investing a lot of money in HOT AIR and therefore Aluminium Can manufacturers have their orders books full till the 22nd Century, at least. Wall street should take note of this invest in Aluminium companies and HOT Fart application makers. Oxygen suppliers will also be in high demand so do stock up, lest you be left out of breathable air.

Note that these products will be sold under St. Jobs own brand as wind from the grave , which was his last dying wish. The process is patented already under USPA number 342734873587934383037.

8. P. Lee

Wrong Direction?

If I had a choice, I'd have a slightly soft, squishy, matt screen.

Perhaps more resistant to shock than rigid screens and easier to read?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like