back to article AT&T: We will right many of world's wrongs if allowed to slurp DirecTV

AT&T says that it will expand its broadband network, promote net neutrality, and clean its room every single day if the US Federal Communications Commission approves its bid to acquire satellite-television firm DirecTV. The company said in a filing to the commission that should the $49bn mega-deal go through, the company will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. pierce
    Devil

ROFL!

"Econometric analysis confirms that, even before efficiencies are considered, the combination of AT&T and DirecTV will create a pro-competitive, integrated bundle of video and broadband services that provokes a beneficial competitive reaction from cable and results in a demonstrable overall net benefit to consumers," AT&T argues.

omg, how could they say that with a straight face??

1. Wade Burchette

How could they say that with a straight face? The same way the internet companies can say that charging both the customer and content provider is somehow good for the customer.

2. BillG
      Devil

ROTFL

Let the Layoffs Begin!

3. swschrad

how can they say that?

practice. they have yet to work up to saying with a straight face "we will also put 4D in your flying car and pay off your mortgage if you bundle satellite, landline, and Uverse with our beer of the month club." but I'm sure the training sessions are scheduled...

2. roger stillick
    Stop

It has Already Started...

We have 3 receivers, one needed software reloaded from head end...was told I needed a single update to HD...

Told them all 3 of our sets are NTSC...They dropped the call and 15 min later a new load was working just fine...

IMHO=last month that scene would never have happened...they would have verified the repair was OK...RS.

Q= Why Should the best TV service in the USA be reduced to lower than a bad Cable system by the FCC allowing this train wreck to happen ??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It has Already Started...

Well if you'll forgive me for pointing it out, you're an idiot. The merger hasn't even been approved by the respective companies' boards, let alone the government, so Directv is still operating as a fully independent company and nothing has changed.

What you experienced would have happened even if there had never been a merger, and if you believe otherwise I imagine you're one of those deluded types who where politics are concerned you believe everything good is done by the (insert democrat or republican, depending on the party you favor) and everything bad is done by the other guy.

1. roger stillick
        Facepalm

Re: It has Already Started...P2...

I may be an idiot, but have been a DirecTV customer w/cpe Sony eq since 1997...went to leased DirecTV eq in 2007...live in a rural area that just kills the pgm load in the receivers due to AC power problems...need system resets/SW reloads on a steady basis since the first Sony eq changeout...

Last month, the folks were helpfull, this month - for the first time the mood changed and we failed as a customer...took 3 calls to get a SW reload from head end (that fixed my ongoing problem = Error #747, function not supported - SW error)...

IMHO= the policy of selling an upgrade (that may or may not fix anything) is NOT the primary policy of DirecTV as most know it... for me DirecTV customer service is Job 1...and as customers we have come to know and enjoy it...Politics has no direct input in this FCC action...

The merger seems to be a done deal, and ATT wireless broadband AKA Rural Buildout is alive and active in the local area here and per our friends = it does not work for multiple sets as 1 set is the ultimate point of control for the wireless eq...FAIL...(need to go to the master to reset/turn on/off the slave eq)...RS.

3. cyke1

they will maintain promises of being extra good til stamp that makes deal final and irreversible happens then they will forgot what they said.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

They'll probably hold a half-assed press conference to say they support Net Neutrality. Then they'll throw together a couple towers in a couple cities in the Mid-West where they were planning to anyway (Now if they end up losing money, they'll blame the FCC for making them do it)

1. Cubical Drone

Yeah, I just love it that they promise all sorts of stuff, but you never hear about any sort of enforcement mechanism if they don't.

4. User McUser

[AT&T claims] that should the deal go through, they would be able to offer wireless local-loop broadband of 15-20Mb/sec for 13 million new customers in rural markets.

What exactly is stopping them from doing this already? Even if they lack the spectrum surely they could lease/buy it from DirecTV at a cost quite a bit lower than buying the whole company!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Directv doesn't own any wireless spectrum. The promise isn't because buying Directv enables them to do this (because Directv does nothing to help) it is to throw a carrot to the FCC which is concerned about how rural customers have no broadband options in many areas.

What is stopping them from doing this now is cost. It is expensive to wire up rural customers because they're widely spaced. The payback is a lot better wiring up dense suburban neighborhoods.

Why do you think Google is targeting only certain areas of the few cities it is providing gigabit fiber to? They're doing the easy places where the return exists. Google Fiber will never come to the areas AT&T is talking about it, because Google would lose billions running a mile of fiber per half dozen customers.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

It costs the same to run fibre as it does to run copper (arguably less, as fiber is cheaper and has lower maintenance costs).

AT&T has systematically reassembled itsefl since "the breakup" by the component parts making overinflated promises if allowed to merge, then dumping the committment and not being punished for it.

Rinse and repeat a few times and you have the "new improved" AT&T, no longer encumbered by the 1933 antitrust settlement requirement of universal service.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

What stops them? Too busy giving record dividend payouts to bother investing in new, let alone upgrading infrastructure.

5. StevesWeb

This gives AT&T another excuse to postpone what they should be doing, upgrading the last mile to their unfortunate customers by installing fiber to customer premises.

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

15-20Mb/sec

A mega-merger promising to deliver bottom tier services at the highest prices. I bet 15Mbps with phone service tops well over $120/month once the promotions run out, the fees come in, and monthly increases start up.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When has this ever happened :-

"Econometric analysis confirms that, even before efficiencies are considered, the combination of AT&T and DirecTV will create a pro-competitive, integrated bundle of video and broadband services that provokes a beneficial competitive reaction from cable and results in a demonstrable overall net benefit to consumers," AT&T argues.

As someone who will be on the receiving end of this in Colombia, I really hope this 'deal' for consumers falls through...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like