back to article Missed it? Here's the latest on Microsoft's mobile strategy

Youtube Video For those of you who missed Microsoft UK's summit on the company’s enterprise mobility strategy in London on June 4, here’s your chance to view the proceedings at your leisure. In the vid you can watch Microsoft discuss mobile devices and the role they will play in the company’s “mobile first, cloud first” …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Their "sell to consumers" attempts have failed. They should stick to business customers, they can brainwash those easier.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not sure where you got that idea from. Windows Phone year on year market share % is still growing faster than any other platform. It will probably take them a couple of years to overtake Apple, but it's going to happen.

Currently WP has over 10% of the consumer and over 20% of the enterprise markets in the UK. Not exactly a leading position, but hardly a failure.

1. Richard Plinston

> Windows Phone year on year market share % is still growing faster than any other platform.

You continue to peddle this. While it was true for one quarter many months ago*, since then the unit sales and market share are in decline, as acknowledged by Nokia themselves.

The latest figures for 2014Q1 at http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/ have:

3 (3) . . Windows Phone . . 6.2 M . . . 2.2 % . . . . . ( 2.9 %) . . . . . . Samsung, Nokia

Where the bracketed figure is previous quarter. The unit sales is less than 2013Q1.

The most interesting figure is that Nokia smartphones unit sales (_not_ including Asha) is greater than the WP figure. This apparently is Android X phones of around 1 million. Even this doesn't leave many WP from the other makers.

10 (9) . Nokia (Microsoft) . 7.1 M . . . 2.5% . . . . . . . ( 2.9% ) . . . . . . Windows, Android

* Your claim is probably the single 2012Q3 to 2013Q3 gain than shows growth because in 2012Q3 WP7 had just been dumped and the WP8 phones were not available so the numbers were very low, while in 2013Q3 they were flogging off the last of the unsold WP7s and were offering the 520 at less than cost price.

But you will still repeat your nonsense claims and will not update to reality.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Cambridgeshire Police Constabulary

So much for Police impartiality.

1. dogged
      Meh

Re: Cambridgeshire Police Constabulary

Yes, anyone who doesn't choose an OS you prefer is clearly biased and partial.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Cambridgeshire Police Constabulary @dogging

I don't believe it should be the position of civil servants to endorse commercial products, whether it be Oracle, Red Hat, Apple, BT or whoever.

What next ? Poilce cars sponsored by Pizza Express ? On second thoughts, hmmm at least my pizza might be warm when it arrives.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So the Police have to build their own phones and can't buy any branded ones? Or cars? Or guns? Idiot...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Cambridgeshire Police Constabulary @Cowardly Anonymous

So the Police have to build their own phones and can't buy any branded ones? Or cars? Or guns? Idiot...

WTF has product endorsement by civil servants got to do with manufacturing ? Go on an English comprehension course, numpty.

2. dogged

Re: Cambridgeshire Police Constabulary @rm -rf /

I believe it's absolutely the position of civil servants and police to explain what they've done, why they've done it and how it will save us money.

Also, I don't recall insulting you. "dogging" is soooooo hilarious, isn't it? What a clever fellow you are! And so mature!

One more and I shall be forced to retaliate in kind (and probably get banned for a week again but what the hell).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@dogged

I do sincerely apologise, it was a simple grammatical error on my part.

As for police forces saving money I do whole heartedly agree that they should tell you how much money they saved:

http://www.zdnet.com/french-police-move-from-windows-to-ubuntu-linux-7000021479/

Millions apparently

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Hmm. A fake apology along with sarcastic agreement to lead into Linux proselytising. You aren't making the point you think you are, you know ...

3. Euripides Pants

"What next ? Poilce cars sponsored by Pizza Express ? "

They tried something similar in St. Paul, MN a few years ago - every police car had a huge ad for Qwest wireless emblazoned on the back as the cops all had wireless phones in the cars. Finally managed to convince the Mayor's office that public property, paid with money collected at gunpoint (try not paying taxes and see how fast the guns come out), should never be used for corporate advertising.

2. chekri

Re: Cambridgeshire Police Constabulary

rm -rf / on your sense of perspective?

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Sh IT e

That sentence, "to discuss their “transformation to 'mobile first' and how it's enabling them to innovate and drive competitive advantage in new and unforeseen ways” sums up why I am so glad I left IT. I just wish I hadn't gone into it 30 years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sh IT e

Surely better than stating: "We're throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like