back to article S is for SMACKDOWN: Samsung takes Galaxy Tab slab war fruit-side

Samsung has raised the stakes in its assault against Apple's ever-popular iPad with its newest range of Galaxy fondleslabs, which are both bigger and have higher screen resolutions than those of its fruity rival. The new Galaxy Tab S comes in 8.4-inch and 10.5-inch configurations, both of which are the thickness of a current …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

Another tablet then

1. Arnold Lieberman
      Facepalm

Re: Yawn

What exactly where you expecting? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically... Sydney Opera House?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

And a thousand elephants!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What exactly where you expecting? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically... Sydney Opera House?"

He was expecting to see the sea. But it has already been pointed out that it's over there, between the land and the sky.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Maybe he should switch it on?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't feed the troll

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Don't feed the troll"

Why not? The initial responses were rather good, and far more entertaining than comparing pixels and screen sizes.

2. Bronek Kozicki

AMOLED screen ?

10.5 inch with resolution 2560x1600? I think that's first, in this price bracket. I wonder how bright the screen is, when viewed in full sun.

1. Arnold Lieberman

Re: AMOLED screen ?

Not the first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_10

1. Bronek Kozicki
        Mushroom

According to Wikipedia page, Nexus 10 has LCD screen. Now, look at AMOLED stated in bold letters above ...

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

WANT

3. g e

I eagerly await

The 'ban it sale in the USA' lawsuit from fapple

Well I say 'eagerly'.. more like it's just expected

4. Tom 38
    Mushroom

2560 x 1600 resolution

How come I can buy a tablet with 2560 x 1600 resolution for $399, but if I want to buy just a screen with the same resolution, no attached tablet, it costs a metric fuckton of monies?

1. Geoff Johnson

Re: 2560 x 1600 resolution

I guess size makes a difference. TV size displays need big machinery to make them. I also suspect that there'll be X defects per square yard of screen produced, so the bigger the screen, the lower the yield.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They still run Android, so they're useless as their iOS counterpart.

Nothing serious can be done on those OS.

1. Peter 48

Re: They still run Android, so they're useless as their iOS counterpart.

the quantity and quality of work you can perform on both mobile OS's has improved quite a bit. Not as extensive as a Surface pro or equivalent windows tablet, but still pretty impressive.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

during the last bank holiday i used my iPad to remote into my servers, made core changes to code in Visual Studio and deployed fixes to live websites...What more do you need them to do?

1. Irongut
        Gimp

You may be willing to code on an iPad but the rest of us non masochists demand a keyboard!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"You may be willing to code on an iPad but the rest of us non masochists demand a keyboard!"

They have got a thing called bluetooth keyboards these days y'know.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There you go: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/tablet-accessories/ipad

or there are these if you're religiously opposed to Apple: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/tablet-accessories/android

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Irongut

There's a big difference between "coding" on a tablet and making a quick bugfix while you're at the beach. Assuming he's just changing a few lines, while it may be more of a pain on a tablet it isn't like it takes more than a few minutes.

6. TomMariner

Fruits of patent lawsuit

Before Apple gave its relations with its suppliers to its patent lawyers, Samsung would possibly have reserved the great resolution, great contrast screens now in the Tab for the iPad. Now, it is innovator against IP attorney -- Samsung is determined to win that billion bucks judgement back -- and sink the company that got it.

Yes, we deserve to protect those who innovate, but Apple launched a vendetta and deserves to reap one in return.

The Tab looks like a nice product, but Apple folks will stay Apple folks -- they aren't buying those patented rectangles because they are thinner or have better resolution.

7. RyokuMas
    Happy

That... looks... nice...

With how it looks with that keyboard in the photo, it's something I might consider looking at as a possible development system. Of course, it would need some kind of mouse - I doubt that drawing art assets by "finger-painting" on the touchscreen would work very well...

... and removal of all the crapware, and a version of Android free from Google's pollution, natch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That... looks... nice...

That keyboard looks like it has a trackpad, no reason why not since Android supports them and mice.

Their current Note 10.1 2014 and Note Pro are 2560x1600 as well... Not AMOLED though.

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Re: That... looks... nice...

I have used a shock horror Microsoft Bluetooth mouse on a Galaxy Note, and it works very well. You get a pointer, pop-ups work, so you can read the idea behind a xkcd sketch. All in all, surprising good (a pity that apps don't support right-click context menus though)

8. Troy Peterson

I wonder if the LTE version will actually be available in the UK

For some reason which I have never been able to determine Samsung doesn't seem to like to release their 3g/4g tablets in the UK. My previous Galaxy Tab 7.7 I bought in The Netherlands... And I've just (actaully waiting for delivery today) ordered the Galaxy TAb Pro 8.4 LTE from Germany.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder if the LTE version will actually be available in the UK

Carriers?

9. Sarev

Photoshop

A photo worthy of Photoshop disasters there... must've taken, ooo, 20 seconds to create that one.

10. GBE

Can I get it w/o the pre-installed bloatware?

I'd give it a serial look if I could get it with with plain, generic Androind sans all the bloatware and the mucked-up UI that manufacturers always put on their devices to provide "product differentiation" (or whatever their calling the particular flavor of manure they splat onto the devices this month to make them less usable (unique, but less usable).

1. Peter 48

Re: Can I get it w/o the pre-installed bloatware?

You would also be throwing out a lot of additional features such as multiwindow support. Stick a custom loader on it like nova and you will hardly notice the difference with vanilla android other than it can do more.

11. PaulR79

Pricing

"The new Galaxies are not far, far away – they will be on sale next month in the US starting at $399 and $499 respectively. The vendor has not yet released UK dates or pricing. ®"

Exclusive information! They'll be released later than next month and cost £399 and £499 respectively. Isn't that common knowledge?

12. dave 158

if it comes with lte ....

... Can I make phone alls with it

Had an Asus fone pad, loved it except their is imp which crash way more than my note mk 1 ever did

Ta

1. dave 158

Re: if it comes with lte ....

In an embaressingly self answered post

Yes you can, looks like you always have been able to.

I'm off to CEX, ta ta

13. Jim84

Microsoft on the right track, but horrible execution as usual

i actually think that the end game for tablets will be a 12 or 13.3 inch model that has a 4k 'retina' OLED screen, is very light, and has an attachable keyboard that rather than relying on a kickstand on the back of the tablet (making the tablet square edged like Microsoft's Surface) has a bit of plastic or metal that pulls out backwards out of the keyboard to prevent the 'laptop' from falling over. This, along with some magnetic rotating hinges on top to hold the tablet would allow the tablet to be as thin as an iPad in the users hands.

Of course making a 4K 12 inch tablet that light and with enough processing power to run a 4K screen without draining the battery in no time is not quite possible at the moment. But Microsoft or Samsung could sort out what seems to be a very obvious design flaw in the attachable keyboard (at least to me).

Then again, Microsoft seem to be making a lot of crazy design choices such as getting rid of the start button in Windows 8, or forcing every Xbox One to be bundled with a Kinect. So perhaps I am judging with the benefit of hindsight?

14. Lamont Cranston

So, we can look forward to Iron Man being kicked off the Avengers

after using his arc-reactor to charge up his tablet, instead of powering his armour? That'll make for an exciting film (still better than watching Nick Furty shill for Sky Broadband, though).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like