back to article Intel prods PC market's corpse, corpse shouts 'I'M NOT DEAD!'

Chipmaker Intel has raised its revenue expectations after discovering that the PC market is less moribund than it imagined. Chipzilla said on Thursday that "as a result of stronger than expected demand for business PCs," it was raising its second-quarter growth revenue estimate from $13bn to $13.7bn. "Intel now expects some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ecofeco Silver badge

It was only a matter of time

In the last 2 years, there was a great reluctance to upgrade both PCs and OS.

In the last 6 months it has been a fire exit rush to finally migrate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It was only a matter of time

But only as long as it takes for those who fear running unsupported XP to upgrade. The worldwide number is still down, and will continue to accelerate once this blip is past.

Many regular folks are content consumers, not content creators, and are just fine with a tablet or even using their smartphone for their internet needs, and will never own another PC. Those who do are more likely to have a single PC shared by the household, instead of multiple PCs as had become the norm in more well-off families.

Large swathes of the developing world will have their first internet experience on a smartphone, and be far less likely to aspire to owning a PC than they would have been five years ago.

1. P0l0nium

A smartphone is a computer and its personal ... that makes it a PC!

So is a notebook, so is a tablet, so is a smart-watch,

The PC hasn't died, it is simply changing and Intel has finally realised this.

Their market is 7 billion people!

I'm still recovering from the hernia I got laughing when Otellini said

"We view the Tablet market as 'Additive' "

That's why he had to "move on".

1. Gordon 10

Let me fix that for you.

"Their market is 7 billion people" - who no longer give a stuff if it says "Intel Inside" on the box.

2. itsallcrap

I really don't see how it could die.

I mean, why did they ever think there would be less of a demand for business PCs? Surely no significant percentage of companies is really having people do word processing from iPads. Or editing spreadsheets on their phones. Everyone uses PCs.

In recent years, a lot of kids wore those shoes with little wheels in the bottom. Turned out to be no threat to the automotive industry.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PCs not going down anytime soon.

Most corporations enjoy giving PCs to their users because they:

a) are bloody cumbersome to lug around, which means nobody can nick them unnoticed;

b) are not installing a wifi hotspot, even when IT knows how to do it or it would cut tremendous costs in cabling. And eventually, when they do install, they will only work for the boss's notebook;

c) are cheaper than same-powered notebooks, or have infinitely more power on the same budget;

d) and are upgrade-able and downgrade-able to hell and back.

The slight increase in PC budget relates, I bet, to XP emigration coupled with upgrades to handle Windows 7, or 8.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like