back to article Amazon Prime Music opens – but where's the streaming music?

Amazon has rolled out a new streaming music service in the US for its Prime club members, but there’s lots of music missing. The Prime Music service replaces the MP3 Store and Cloud Player apps. However, it doesn’t include any tracks newer than six months old, and there’s reportedly nothing from Universal Music Group, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Waspy

The best bit:

"VC-funded gadget comic The Verge..."

Hahaha, this is why I come the Reg

2. Crazy Operations Guy
    Joke

"doesn’t include any tracks newer than six months old"

And nothing of value was lost...

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: "doesn’t include any tracks newer than six months old"

Saw an excellent T-Shirt....I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: "doesn’t include any tracks newer than six months old"

And often before they were famous too.

I went to see Queen at Wembley. The opener was the Alarm, then some unknown Oz group called INXS and Quo was the warm-up act. That WAS a concert, although at around 20 quid for a ticket it was bloody expensive.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So let me get this straight...

The indies being 'rogered' at split of 25m and 5m, because it really should be 24m and 6m, out of a 30m pool?

1. Matt Piechota

Re: So let me get this straight...

"The indies being 'rogered' at split of 25m and 5m, because it really should be 24m and 6m, out of a 30m pool?"

I think if you check your math, 34% of 30m is roughly 10m.

2. Fazal Majid

Re: So let me get this straight...

If they have 34% of the market, 34% of $30M is $10M, not $6M or $5M.

4. h3

Warner is part of the problem as well.

At least for that Lego Movie situation. They were going to sell the Blu-ray at 25$ then they changed their mind and put it to $40. Leaving Amazon to take the hit. (Which I presume they will).

If you say you are going to do something you should do it (Doesn't matter how big or small you are company or individual).

1. Steve Sims

Re: Warner is part of the problem as well.

Different Warner.

Warner Music Group is owned by Access Industries, and has done since 2011.

Warner Bros (the music studio) is owned by Time Warner Inc.

Time Warner spun out Warner Music Group as an independent company back in 2004. This was a complete sell-off, with Time Warner not retaining any ownership at all.

5. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

They wonder why

Yadda, yadda, yadda, "wrapped up in legal red tape...",..."can't offer X from supplier Y....".....

Oh sod it....http://www.pirate_torrents_proxy.com

6. RaidOne

Locking out Hachette

Is it the same Hachette that was involved in price fixing with Apple? Let them see how it is. I guess they have the option of selling through other bookstores, it's not like Amazon has a monopoly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Locking out Hachette

All the major publishers were involved in that. Should Amazon lock them all out? They would take quite a hit in book sales as people couldn't find most of the books they were looking for on Amazon any longer.

I'm not sure why you think Amazon selling below cost is a good thing. It is good in the short run, but if you think that's their plan forever I have a bridge to sell you. Once they achieve true monopoly status (only a matter of time if they sell below cost which no one else can compete with) they'll jack up prices, and there won't be anyone left for you to get a better deal from.

1. RaidOne

Re: Locking out Hachette @DougS

I will tell you why I think I believe selling below cost is a good thing for me, the consumer.

It is because I believe no one can control books retail in such a way to have an absolute monopoly, long or short term. Amazon is number 1 for many years now, does it look like a monopoly to you? Like are they the only place where you can buy your latest Harry Potter fix?

Capitalism works if the government does not mess with it. If Amazon increases prices too high, there will be someone to undercut them, so that they will have to keep their prices in line. Worst case, I can live without buying new books, if they will be so expensive so I cannot afford them. There are billions out there already, and I can buy them two for a dollar at garage sales, or for the price of a coffee at a used books store, never mind Kijiji or eBay.

But I suspect you are also against any type of sales and specifically against loss leaders in other fields as well?

I did not buy any bridges in many years and I do not intend to start anytime soon, but I am curious, what bridge in particular do you want to sell and what is your pitch?

7. Levente Szileszky

Correction: Cloud Player is STILL THERE, along with my music...

...which is only logical as long as they want me to keep coughing up for my cloud-based music storage (currently well over 30k songs, 40+ years worth of music collection), not to mention this new Prime Music lacking most of my stuff anyway.

For streaming as far as I know most big streaming services rely on the same 2 or 3 backend provider so only the extra they add on top of that generic collection that counts - and by that measure I found Sony's Music Unlimited the best (they have the biggest collection of 80s stuff especially in one-hit-wonders, one of my fav eras); paired with Amazon cloud player it's a perfect combo, with Pandora added for accasional 'radio' (it beats pretty much everything in that category), all together ~$100/year...

8. Fazal Majid

I just tried it

It's like the Netflix of music. Exceedingly limited collection, even for music older than 6 months.

9. Connor

Amazon Prime Instant Video

Sounds a lot like their Amazon Prime Instant Video - where you can watch some films and tv series as part of your £5.99 a month subscription, but most of the decent films are tv series are only available if you stump up an extra £3.99+ to watch each one. Needless to say I cancelled.

1. Levente Szileszky

Re: Amazon Prime Instant Video

Not sure what's on the plate over there but here Prime is an excellent service all around including free video streaming (which is also very decent and keeps growing, as regular, newer movies slowly age into the free-to-stream Prime fold.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When did Optimus get replaced by Amazon?

11. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

Amazon! What's That Ax Doing In Your Face?

Apparently Amazon is getting desperate about making a profit in order to justify its AMZN price. Desperation means making bad choices, which are quite evident here.

12. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

OK

At least Amazon is doing this without spending 3 billion dollars on buying second-hand streaming hardware and a few boxes of bad headphones...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like