back to article Windows 8 leaker gets three months, booted back to Russia

Alex Kibkalo, the former Microsoft worker who pleaded guilty in April to leaking company secrets, is likely headed back to his native Russia in a week or so, having been sentenced to serve a brief stint in prison. According to court documents, Kibkalo was formally sentenced on Tuesday to a three-month prison term, per his plea …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. southpacificpom
    WTF?

Fuck them all

If I was Alex I'd take them to the Human Rights Commission. Imprisoned and basically deported for releasing a steaming hot turd to the media...

1. Flawless101
      Facepalm

Re: Fuck them all

He got pissed off over a poor performance report and decided to get the finger to his company.

Admirable? Sure.

I am surprised at the outcome ? No, using the services of a company you are leaking information about... really.

I wonder what his book will be called, "how I got common sense beat into me" perhaps.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Note that he did not use the services of Microsoft to leak the secrets. It is his correspondent who happened to have a hotmail account.

He probably did not expect that Microsoft would go through the private emails of a journalist to track him down. Few people expected it, really.

1. Neil B

@AC Maybe that "journalist" (actually just a blogger) should be aware of the conditions under which his free email service was provided, and then not try to use it to harm *the company that provides the service in the first place*.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Note that he did not use the services of Microsoft to leak the secrets. It is his correspondent who happened to have a hotmail account."

Yeah, but you'd think the @hotmail.com part would have been a bit of a clue when he wrote the mail wouldn't you?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He got arrested and thrown in jail for leaking company secrets?

Since when did someone get jail time for what amounts to breach of contract?

I thought jail time was restricted to criminal acts, not civil ones :O

Something is badly out of whack in that friggin' country.

1. king of foo

harsh

MS sounds like a fantastic company to work for...

My bosses aren't exactly saints but would they have me thrown in jail for breach of contract? Unlikely.

1. Billa Bong

Re: harsh

An analogy, maybe - if you have a contract with someone to not beat you up, then they beat you up, you're not going to sue them for breach of contract but for beating you up...

So it's not for breach of contract, but for damages, surely? Employee or not, he apparently damaged Microsoft's business (*stifles a chuckle*) by sending out pre-release code.

2. G R Goslin

Re @skelband

Sadly, the Laws of the Land are what the goverment says they are. Not what, logically, they should be. I could quote you beeelions of examples.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Since when did someone get jail time for what amounts to breach of contract?"

It's not breach of contract, it is theft, many people go to jail for theft. He stole data then gave it away. If you worked for craphone whorehouse and stole a batch of phones from their stock room you'd have the police knocking on your door, this is the software equivalent of that.

4. southpacificpom
      Devil

It's America dear, the country that boast NFL World Champions where the game is only for US based teams in the first place. The country that can be a "world economic power" when they are 20 or 30 trillion dollars in debt.

I could go on but whats the bloody point....

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Then "The Disgruntling" occurred!

"After receiving a poor performance report, he reportedly became disgruntled and leaked prerelease Windows 8 software to an unnamed French blogger."

Why did the poor performance report make him hate French bloggers that much? It is a mystery. Will we ever know?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"That doesn't mean he's free to come and go as he pleases, though. In fact, only the "go" part is allowed, as US authorities plan to deport him once his sentence is served."

Send him home now so the taxpayers don't pay for his keep. If Microsoft wants him to serve the full sentence, then they can get their checkbook out and pay for it.

It is not like the leak of a pre-release of Windows 8 hurt it, Windows 8 does that all by itself.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would amuse me

If the text of his book were released to the Internet before publication.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It would amuse me

Um? Do you think, perhaps, that the book will describe how to make ton's of money and fuck American corporations? Seems to me like that would be a big seller over there.

6. Barrington

At least the $22500 in damages will double WIndows 8's revenue for the year.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like