back to article World first: ANIMATED GIF of Mercurian SUN ZOOM from MARS

Ever wondered what on earth the Mars Rover Curiosity is actually doing all the way out there on the surface of the Red Planet? Staring into space, that's what. Whilst peering up at the stars last week, the car-sized nuclear powered prowler caught sight of the planet Mercury passing in front of the sun, representing the first …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Newtonian to Einsteinian physics ?

Dredging my memory, wasn't it something about the timings of the transit of Mercury (observed differing from theoretical) which validated Einsteins theory of relativity ? (Whether special or general, I can't say).

Either way, love it !

1. Chris Miller

Re: Newtonian to Einsteinian physics ?

Technically, it was the precession of the perihelion of Mercury that was one of the confirmations of General Relativity. Like the deflection of starlight passing close to the Sun, some precession was predicted by Newtonian physics, but the observed magnitude disagreed with the prediction (causing some 19th century astronomers to predict the existence of 'Vulcan' inside the orbit of Mercury).

2. rh587

I recall the 2004 transit better. Was at home, supposedly revising for exams, but as I had a few days till the next one and it was a gloriously sunny spell, opted to spend a happy few hours pointing a small telescope at the sun and plotting the transit across the piece of card that the telescope projected onto.

Dad had also thoughtfully provisioned a couple of layers of glass from a welding visor bonded together so you could safely observe it directly. Happy days.

3. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

The First...

...time a planetary transit has been viewed from the surface of anywhere but dear green earth.

The closest I could find to anything similar to this was the Kaguya (Selene) lunar explorer taking pics of the Earth during a penumbral lunar eclipse.

Cheers and thanks for (greatly) broadening our horizons!

4. Anon

Click here for proper size

Ha ha, not falling for that one. My monitor is not 1,400,000 km across.

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Devil

If NASA used an animated gif, does this mean they also have heavy use of the blink tag on their website? In which case, if it's good enough for NASA, why can't us commentards have it?

<blink>Pwetty Pwease</blink>

1. Zimmer
      Devil

NO! NO GIFs for Commentards!

I have enough trouble with the b****y MS Cloud animated adverts slowing mouse wheel scrolling to a crazed, jerky nightmare without anymore senseless animation.... I currently have to hunt down the offending tabs and close them before I can read the articles..grrrrr...

(The name's Meldrew, VIctor Meldrew.. )

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Devil

Re: NO! NO GIFs for Commentards!

Zimmer,

But just think how much more accurately this post would reflect your rage and frustration if you could have made it in blinking, bold, colour changing block capitals!

6. MacroRodent

Wonder when is the next transit of Earth?

On Mars, one should occasionally see our own planet transit the Sun. It would be nice if Curiosity could film it. But maybe they occur only every few centuries?

1. Anonymous Cowerd

Re: Wonder when is the next transit of Earth?

Next one is 10th November 2084

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Earth_from_Mars

7. John Savard

Arthur C. Clarke

And, of course, Arthur C. Clarke wrote a famous story, Transit of Earth, of an astronaut stranded on Mars due to a mission to observe from Mars a transit of the Earth across the Sun.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like