back to article Find a partner? Nah, these students ALL play with same tools in giant CLUSTER-SHUCK

One of the major differences between the recently completed Asia Student Supercomputer Challenge and the other major international competitions is the way the students get their clustering gear. In the International Supercomputing Conference (ISC) and the SC competitions, part of the task for students is to find a vendor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. streaky

GeForce

"not sure if you can get HPC programs to recognise and use a GeForce GPU without a lot of messing around"

As long as you can get CUDA drivers for it I doubt it'd matter (the software would use the CUDA API unless some fool put a nonsense arbitrary limit in the software in which is highly unlikely given there are supercomputers that use actual graphics cards out there).

By the way you're talking about a 4500 GBP versus an 800 quid card - for the sake of a bit of RAM if you don't need it you have a massive price:flops advantage.

1. danolds

Re: GeForce

Good point on the price difference, but NVIDIA is a big supporter of these competitions and had been great about giving the kids whatever they need.

Thanks for the info on GeForce and CUDA. I've been working off and on with a PCIe extension box that has GeForce cards in it, trying to get it working with my laptop. So far, no success in getting the laptop to see the box or the cards, but that could be a limitation of Windows 7 or the lousy PCIMIA card I'm using to connect. I'll try connecting it to a desktop motherboard directly via PCIe.

This topic is closed for new posts.