back to article Got VDI questions? Fire them at our expert panel

The Register is hosting a webinar about VDI in the real world at 11am Pacific (7pm BST, 2pm Eastern) on 11 June. Unsure what it takes to make VDI go? Have questions, or just want to get more up to date? This is your chance! VDI deployments are undertaken with great fanfare and hype, but never seem to deliver on the promise. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TaabuTheCat

"Our VDI panelists are diverse."

Really? They all look like players there to talk about VDI performance. Where are the profile management and app management vendors? If you're in the non-persistent VDI world that's where some of the toughest challenges lie, not in accelerating 3D or managing boot storms.

If you can, you should add the likes of a Unidesk, VMware or Citrix to talk about how to handle some of the messier USER issues with VDI.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: "Our VDI panelists are diverse."

Agree 100%. I have a second webinar in the planning to address that. I am looking to do these in stages; start from the bottom (infrastructure) and work towards the top. The LoginVSI guys (and Eric, for that matter) know a fair amount about the user virtualisation issues, enough to hold their own, but user virtualisation is, of itself, a separate field entirely that transcends "just VDI".

User issues are present in non-persistent VDI, but also in "hoteling" desktop setups, multi-device/multi-OS setups and more. That's why that discussion will happen separately.

2. Terry Cloth
    IT Angle

That would be which VDI, then?

Is that VDI the one about virtual desktops? or the file format? or perhaps even the ancient GEM device interface?

The initialisation-challenged want to know.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That would be which VDI, then?

Actually, I want to second this question.

One of the documentation standards I have been abiding by for a long time was to expand an acronym on first use so that the reader can identify what exactly is being discussed. This was before the Internet, so I guess we can change "expand" to "expand or link to a web article". That requires rebuilding the sentence, but I think you can catch my drift.

I guess that is best done by updating the article itself, though, so that a reader doesn't have to dig into comments to finally decode it.

This is, of course, assuming the panel isn't on all possible variants of the TLA :)

3. cyberelf

Virtual VDI deployments ..

Are there any real world deployments out there or demos we can see for ourselves?

Re: Virtual VDI deployments ..

I can see about getting that included; is there anything specific you'd like to see in the demo?

1. cyberelf

"I can see about getting that included; is there anything specific you'd like to see in the demo?"

Not particularly, but for anyone wanting to buy such a solution, a picture is worth a thousand words ..

Well, I'll pass that on to the folks involved. We're using WebEx, and they've been informed they have the ability to do demos or use slides, so...we'll see what they bring!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has anyone got Bloomberg Professional fully working in a XenDesktop scenario? Including Bloomberg keyboard, fingerprint scanners etc?

And how do you handle applications like Bloomberg that self-update in an ad-hoc manner whenever they feel like it? The longer your VDI Infrastructure uptime is, the bigger the version gap grows between the running VDI instances and the golden image.

5. T.REX

UEM, LAYERING, ASSESSMENT, MONITORING, ACCELERATION should be included

Just so happens the team here at Liquidware Labs makes titles in all these categories, and after over 5,000,000 workspaces touched by our products - might have some feedback and lessons learned.

T.Rex

Re: UEM, LAYERING, ASSESSMENT, MONITORING, ACCELERATION should be included

There is going to be more than one Webinar. There has to be. The 1 hour basic infrastructure webinar turned into 1:45 minutes and we couldn't even get into user virutalisation, profiling, etc. This is a huge topic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like