back to article New dashboard gives eagle's-eye view of Microsoft's security flaws

Microsoft has launched a new dashboard service designed to make it easier for systems admins to view the latest security bulletins for a range of Microsoft software. The idea behind the service, called myBulletins, is to allow admins to subscribe to security bulletins for only those products that are in use in their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Barry Rueger

Reboot?

I guess I'm spoiled by several years of Linux, but does Windows still require reboots after installs and upgrades?

How 1990s........

1. Don Dumb

Re: Reboot?

@Barry Rueger -

does Windows still require reboots after installs and upgrades?
      In my experience, Win 7 does not need to reboot to install most updates but it still does for some.

Presumably Linux doesn't ever need a reboot to install updates to the Kernel then?

1. vahid

I dunno Don Dumb, maybe if windows removed windows and installed Linux Kernel removed DOS and replaced it with bash then it be in line with the cool kids.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_kGG7R2Zt5E/Tc8mg6q-CAI/AAAAAAAAAGs/-ukgn7QZ1Sg/s1600/600days-uptime.PNG

Maybe when we get to see proper Windows servers doing something other than being scanned for weaknesses with equivalent uptimes running bash and a Linux Kernel then the tune will remain the same.

In short - fdisk drop c

install Linux and pay nothing with a good stable OS vs install poop pay for it and get shafted with updates and reboots

1. Captain Scarlet
          WTF?

@vahid

DOS??!! Do you mean the Windows Command Line Interface or Powershell?

I am very confused by your post, you install Windows, remove it then place the Linux kernel in Windows and replace DOS with BASH.

2. cyberelf
        Linux

"Presumably Linux doesn't ever need a reboot to install updates to the Kernel then?", Don Dumb

"Ksplice: Never Reboot Linux for Linux Security Updates"

1. b166er

Hmmm what could possibly go wrong with paying Oracle for a kernel that subverts the running kernel in order to splice in updates real-time?

2. Don Dumb

@cyberelf - I'm aware of KSplice but I don't think many standard Linux distributions include KSplice. It isn't fair to compare vanilla Windows to Linux using a third party tool.

Although it would be fair to point out that at least Linux can allow for such third party tools to exist.

2. IDN_MikeG

First click 404

Went to link

Thought "US English? Nope, want UK"

Clicked on link

Got:

"Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /en-us/security/SelectLocale"

Sigh.

3. vahid

genuises at MS

https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/attachment/wiki/PlayPen/Telemetry/telemetry-overview-0.1.png

Take a look here does it look like it has been ripped off yet another existing concept from Linux

Please don't take then slate

4. Simulacra75

Feedback given

Gave feedback, filtering out "Itanium" related patches. They really grind my gears! Does anyone use Itanium these days (or ever)??

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"*My* Security Bulletins Dashboard"? Prefixing something with "My" is pretty lame, especially when it's targeted at IT pros.

For full pathetic effect, why not just call it "My e-Security i-Bulletins"?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Full Pathetic Effect

My Cyber e-Security i-Bulletins.NET?

he started it!

6. Goopy

Wrong

"Yet for every silver lining there is a cloud: from now on, you're alone when it comes to security. As of now, if a new vulnerability is written that targets the operating system, Microsoft won't come riding to your safety with a software fix."

Yet one week after MS' LAST SECURITY UPDATE, they relented, backpeddled, whatevered itno , "OK< we WILL be updating Critical and Moderate patches for the foreseeable future".

Ya might want to correct that, Reggie!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like