back to article Oracle shoves aside NoSQL upstarts with smart 'Fabric' tech

After two years of development, Oracle has released a freely available, open source technology that closes the gap between its MySQL software and the capabilities of database upstarts. The "MySQL Fabric" technology was announced by Oracle on Tuesday, and represents a big bet by the company's MySQL development team that it can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confusing

I need advice. I've just begun really learning databases and decided to concentrate on NoSQL, since I already know JS pretty well, and NoSQL appears to be the wave of the future. But is this correct? If I devote hundreds of hours into NoSQL will I regret it, given what is now happening in SQL?

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Run away

It's Oracle. Run away fast!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Run away

Quite. SQL Server already does all of this perfectly well - plus a whole lot more, and it might not be free - but its reasonably priced and at least it doesn't involve Oracle...

1. Nate Amsden

how many linux shops have applications that run on linux but have a MSSQL back end? I can't imagine very many (or vise versa for that matter). The company I work for have been using the Percona fork of MySQL for the past two years or so (added Percona gold support about a year ago). This new feature sounds pretty cool but I will probably wait a year or two before considering production deployment at my org anyway.

As an alternative users can look at a product called ScaleArc which provides similar abilities (plus a lot more) it is sort of a load balancer/caching layer for MySQL (similar but much more sophisticated than Citrix Netscaler Datastream which is the only comparable product that I am aware of).

1. Nate Amsden

forgot to mention ScaleArc does the same for MSSQL and Oracle too

2. Down not across

+1 for Percona. One of the better MySQL servers out there.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"how many linux shops have applications that run on linux but have a MSSQL back end"

We had a few, but ported them all to Services for UNIX on Windows Server; much easier to manage them now and better performance on the same hardware spec!

2. Tom Samplonius

"Quite. SQL Server already does all of this perfectly well - plus a whole lot more, and it might not be free - but its reasonably priced and at least it doesn't involve Oracle..."

I think you mean, more expensive than Oracle. SQL Server prices have increased rapidly, and it is no longer "reasonably priced". Plus, it doesn't actually have this fabric feature either.

3. Kamilion Schnook of Second Life

Bahahahahahaha! What a riot!

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?144,614703,614821#msg-614821

> More replicas will help with READ scenarios

One Master and many Slaves helps scale READs.

> but how can we enhance WRITE scenarios with multiple masters?

No, you can't. Period. End of discussion. Here's why: All writes must be performed on all replicas.

So it's freakin' useless for multimaster.

"Hello, I'm interested in sharding our data using mysql fabric. From everything I've read thus far mysql fabric requires that clients hit the shard key when making requests/queries. Is it possible to just use a vanilla SQL client like mysqlworkbench or sequel pro to query our sharded database without hinting?"

Reply:

"It depends a little on what you want to do. There is no problems using a normal connector to connect to one of the servers in the sharded system, but the trick is figuring out which one. This is the functionality that a Fabric-aware connectors provides."

Rest in piss, libmysqlclient. You will not be missed.

Burn in Oracle, hell.

(Tip, go check out rethinkdb.com!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like