back to article PC-infecting chat demon quotes THE BIBLE to summon malware plague

A new Trojan that distributes itself through Facebook instant messaging and Yahoo! Messenger has claimed hundreds of victims. Computer systems have been infected by the software nasty in the UK, Germany, France, Denmark, Romania, the US and Canada during the past week or so, according to Romanian antivirus firm Bitdefender. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Simon Harris

Ancient texts...

If you're going to use bits of ancient texts as encryption keys, wouldn't the Illiad be a more appropriate source for a trojan?

1. king of foo

Re: Ancient texts...

Or, ahem, the kama sutra

1. P. Lee
        Paris Hilton

Re: Ancient texts...

> Or, ahem, the kama sutra

That's the other "jpg" trojan referred to in the article :)

2. Rick Giles
    Linux

It just boggles the mind

that people still continue to use Windows...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: It just boggles the mind

That some people comment without reading the article first...

Because this has nothing to do with windows...

It has everything to do with idiots who will click-on and download

anything (a.k.a. stupid Facecrook users...)

1. eulampios
        Thumb Down

@ malle-herbert

Because this has nothing to do with windows

Next time when we hear about another sophisticated (or not) Android trojan readily available for users to download , please speak up, and say hat it has nothing to do with the platform.

I would however not agree with you. On Windows unlike on GNU Linux, *BSD or even Android operating systems, users are quite accustomed to install software from various unknown, unverified places. Windows didn't have secure repositories until very recently where a limited number of software has become now available from Windows Store. For the last 20+ years it apparently never occurred to the smartest minds in Redmond to devise a mechanism similar to what Google had done with their transparent permissions system for Android apps.

Even if a mechanism exists (i.e., centralized store, permissions system or repositories) bad habits continue haunting those users. Been there, seen others do silly things...

So you do blame the OS (at least not directly) for this!

2. AlbertH
        WTF?

Perhaps you should read the article a little more closely - it infects Windoze only. What a surprise!

3. Rick Giles
        Linux

@ malle-herbert Re: It just boggles the mind

Friom the article: Once installed, the malware pushes further messages, spreading the scam, as well as compromised systems with more Windows malware.

From you: Because this has nothing to do with windows...

Wanna try that again?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It just boggles the mind

that people still continue to use Windows..."

Wow. I really wasn't expecting a lame, unoriginal troll accompanied by a penguin icon the second I saw "PC-infected" in the headline. Clap. Clap. Clap. Mummy's so proud of you.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Headmaster

"Use of biblical versus"??

Tsk tsk, time to play "where's the corrections link" again...

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: "Use of biblical versus"??

Why? A cage match with Bible versus Torah would be fantastic! I suspect both might pop out of existence once they became entangled in definitions of labor and sacrifice.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which version?

So which version of the Bible are we talking about here?

1.0 (Old Testament),

2.0 (New testament, Aramaic),

2.1 (New testament, Latin),

2.2 (New testament, English),

or that one the Mormons have.

They are all different, so which one should I be using to break the encryption on this Trojan?

1. Simon Harris

Re: Which version?

You forgot The Apocrypha - otherwise known as Old Testament Service Pack 1.

The article would indicate one of the versions of The New Testament (2.0 is generally considered to have been written in Greek). Could be any of the 2.x versions in any one of the language variations. Perhaps the Arapaho translation!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Didn't know about that one, it seems they're coming up with a new one everyday...

Why do they need so many different versions anyway? Its not like it really takes that many words to say "Don't be an asshole or be punished"

2. king of foo

The one bound in the skins of twenty virgins pickled in the urine of a thousand rats and then dyed red with the blood of the innocent. With a big inverted cross on the front and "hail Satan" on the spine.

You know, the latest windows 8 user manual.

5. loneranger

What better way for a wolf to hide than under a sheepskin?

6. GBE

"an alorithm with a mathematical processor" -- er, what?

From the article:

>> "The data is eventually decrypted with numbers generated by an algorithm with a mathematical processor," according to BitDefender.

An algorithm with a mathematical processor?

What's that supposed to mean?

Would you install "security" software from somebody who writes gibberish like that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "an alorithm with a mathematical processor" -- er, what?

No need to allow boring old grammatical norms nor sense to get in the way of spouting of the bollocks.

I can only (charitably) imagine that pre was missed off -processor but it's still rubbish.

To be fair: a security system can't pick its marketing department but you'd hope it would at least do us the decency of looking shifty whilst in their presence and apologise once they'd buggered off to talk twaddle elsewhere.

Cheers

Jon

7. Sebastian A

I'm gobsmacked...

that people still just blindly run this stuff. There really is no helping some people.

Now excuse me, I have to get in touch with Mr. Mboto, he's still having trouble getting my funds cleared. One more bribe to customs should do the trick.

8. Anonymous (Noel) Coward
    Headmaster

Use of biblical versus is malware ....

..... is a new one for El Reg security desk and we're not sure what it means,

What it means is that your speech-to-text program needs work.

9. Rick Giles
    Pirate

One would think...

"Wow. I really wasn't expecting a lame, unoriginal troll accompanied by a penguin icon the second I saw "PC-infected" in the headline. Clap. Clap. Clap. Mummy's so proud of you."

That Windoze users would have a thicker skin by now.

Next time I'll be gentler.

10. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Wild educated guesses on one side of the weapons of mass disruption fence?

John (Leyden), Hi. You sure do make a lot of malicious assumptions/speculations in that report.

:-) You may like to ponder on what that reveals to one and all. And you could be perfectly enough correct too in your thoughts, given the frailties and temptations which so easily corrupt and defeat humans being humans.

11. Teiwaz

I generally find it entertaining to read the 'download this security/optimze/cool new tool' links for Windows when browsing on Firefox, and the OSX ones while browsing wiht DWB.

As a Linux user, its like looking into the window display of a shop for extreme fetishist, you think Why would people buy that, and what the hell do they use it for once they get it home...

12. Elmer Phud

Fairy dust

As with the 'spiritualistic' (angel botherers that type and speak in capitals like 'Light' and 'Truth') the god botherers are always ready to send tracts of gibberish to each other and feel more worthy for having done so.

I'm surprised it's taken to so long to hit such an easy target.

13. Kay Burley ate my hamster

Also seen

Also seen posing as a FAX with the same dropbox links.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like