back to article Asus Z97-A puts Intel's 9 Series chipset through its paces

Here we are again. Another Intel chipset series sees the light of day – but at least this time there isn’t a new socket to contend with... Well, at the very high end there is, but that’s for the X99 Express coming later. Intel 9 Series chipset overview At launch there are two 9 series chipsets: the Z97 Express and the H97 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Smith

UEFI - uck

UEFI makes for pretty bios's but makes dual booting to anything other than Windows a right royal pain, and it seems to be getting harder and harder to disable, or am I just getting paranoid?

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: UEFI - uck

UEFI has been standard on most boards for a few years now.

Are you talking about UEFI or Secure Boot? Two sparate things.

I was dual booting OS X, Linux and Windows on my UEFI Mac without any problems. Most Linux distros have had UEFI support for a few years now.

These days only Windows XP users would probably have problems with UEFI.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To Microsoft, UEFI and Secure Boot may as well be the same thing.

"Windows 8 introduces a new requirement for PC manufacturers (OEMs) that may require modifications to your OS deployment infrastructure. That requirement ensures that all Windows 8 systems are shipped with their BIOS in UEFI Mode and Secure Boot enabled."

My solution: Don't buy Windows.

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/4151.uefi-and-secure-boot/rss.aspx

1. big_D Silver badge

It is only needed for certification, it can be turned off by the customer, and most Linux variants now have a shim to work with Secure Boot as well.

2. Semtex451

Please Sir, can I have some more?

Struggling to think when was the last time I saw a consumer mobo review in these illustrious pages.

Or am I just optically challenged?

More due?

1. Arctic fox
      Thumb Up

@Semtex451 Re: Please Sir, can I have some more?

I am obliged to agree. I thought for a moment that I had logged onto Anandtech by mistake! Very welcome if it continues.

3. poopypants

Is this one of the reasons why PC sales figures are down?

Because people are building them?

4. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Facepalm

Rubbish design cooler if it blocks memory slot + water is better

I only use a heat pipe and fan CPU heatsink when the bundled one for a low power CPU which is hardly stressed e.g. a FreeNAS box, with a much cheaper AMD CPU.

My main PC uses a pre-assembled water cooler with push-pull fans on the radiator and stays much cooler and quieter that the old huge heat pipe cooler I had, and for about the same price!

I won't touch Intel for anything but my main PC, because the CPUs and motherboards are so damned expensive, so it only makes sense for stuff which needs the best processing power.

5. Derpity
    WTF?

Since When?

"… well, apart from the first memory slot being blocked by a fan, but that’s a given with third party coolers, in general"

Its been a while since I've looked at air coolers for a CPU but is it really common now that they block memory slots? Seems you either chose poorly on a fan or mobo or both.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Re: Since When?

I use Zalman coolers on all my high end machines and they work a treat. Don't forget that a decent thermal grease is needed as well to ensure successful mating to your cooling block, no matter what manufacturer you go with.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Last PC I built I had to remove the aluminum RAM heat shields to get them to fit under my cooler. The cooler block pipes rubbed against the shield otherwise. I'll bet the cooler manufacturers design to the DDR specs and don't take the shields into account.

Shows how close the tolerances are in those designs where an extra mm in height causes issues.

3. Fuzz

Maybe it's an Asus thing, I have an Asus board in my PC and had to install low profile RAM to fit under the heat-sink. It was surprisingly hard to find 4GB low profile DDR3 sticks.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Its been a while since I've looked at air coolers for a CPU but is it really common now that they block memory slots? Seems you either chose poorly on a fan or mobo or both."

A lot of the "high performance" coolers will obstruct the first memory slot (which on Z87/97 is going to be in the second bank to be used, so likely only a problem if you're going with 4 sticks of RAM). There are a sufficient number of "thin" coolers which won't overhang the first slot (e.g. Noctua NH-U12S), together with some of the larger ones which get over the problem simply by having a bigger gap between the CPU and the bottom of the cooling fin array - both of these tend to be tall. The reason why the Noctua NH-U9B overhangs is it's not supposed to be that tall.

Intel's specs basically dictate where the DIMM banks can go, too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like