back to article Microsoft to release epic Xbox One update in June

“Major Nelson”, aka Microsoft's director of programming for Xbox Live Larry Hryb, has let it be known that a June update to Microsoft's don't call it just agaming console will be able to access external storage. “Your Xbox One system will soon support up to two external hard drives at once,” Nelson/Hyrb has written. “Simply …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dan1980

Verify with a disc? One might ask why you need the hard drive then . . .

Great for downloaded games of course.

1. Roger B

Take the drive and the disc and you can play as soon as you are logged in, if you just take disc, the install time and inevitable day 1 patch downloads mean you could be waiting a few hours before you get to start gaming.

1. dan1980

Right - I thought you didn't have to install any more. I thought that was part of the anti-piracy measures that were dropped prior to release.

If that's the case then yes, it makes sense!

1. Roger B

Nope, everything now has to install due to the games being crammed onto the bluray disc. Install times can be quite long apparently, but you can usually start playing the game before it is fully installed, same situation on the PS4, although the PS4 is a little quicker or so I have heard. Still got neither until I get through my back log of 360 games, so don't take my word as gospel!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The update also removes the reservation requirement of 10% of GPU resources for Kinect, so we should see more future games running in 1080p.

3. h4rm0ny

>>"Verify with a disc? One might ask why you need the hard drive then . . ."

Verify with a disc or sign in with XBox Live was the statement.

Also, as others have pointed out, installation takes time.

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

I have been a fan of the Xbox360 for years...

But WTF is going on with the xbone? Sounds to me like the windoze mobile people have had their hands on it, all this type of stuff should have been ready at release time. The 360 has had external storage capacity for years, and don't get me started about price...

I might be having to move camps here...

1. returnmyjedi

Re: I have been a fan of the Xbox360 for years...

This supposed "next gen" crop of consoles is rather laughable. Aside from a bit of extra gloss, neither the Xbox One nor the PS4 do half of the things that their predecessors do. 3D Blu Ray like on your PS3? Nope. Custom soundtracks like on your circa 2005 360? Dream on. Play your games from the last gen? Don't be silly!

1. jason 7

Indeed, bot the PS4 and the Xbox One are very lackluster.

How bad is it really? Well nearly 7 months on and I still don't know anyone that owns either one.

"Not bothered this time!" is the comment I hear most.

Last gen, by this time I knew more than half a dozen with 360s.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I know quite a few PS4 owners, but not a Xbone owner.

Yes, it's a little disappointing that after 7 months, there is still no Blu-Ray media remote control from Sony (or a OS patch to make the PS3 one work), or DLNA, but that's my only gripes from an otherwise awesome bit of hardware.

I do still have my Xbox360, but it's not been fired up since I got my PS4 to be honest. Time to sell it.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I won an Xbox One at Microsoft Convergence so I have one. Supposedly the PS4 has vastly outsold it.

I bought Titanfall which had some cool things but online only and single player per console only means my GF and I can't both play. Only other game even worth playing was COD: Ghosts and that was mostly because we don't have to play with 6 yr olds online and can do local multiplayer.

The main issue is there are zero good games out right now. Need a new Elder Scrolls game or even one of those random RPG type games that usually come out at release (see Kameo for the Xbox 360).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

TitanFail is just that, insanely overhyped.

There are true Nex-Gen games out. Killzone Shadowfall and Infamous Second Son are two such games. Neither have Microsoft's advertising budgets, but they are worth of being called Next-gen and insanely good. I recently completed Killzone SP, and it was really good, MP is even better. WAY better than anything Titanfall can offer.

2. Chad H.

Last Gen is coming on PS4 through Gaikai... but then again, so is Christmas.

2. Daniel B.
      Trollface

Yes, it's time to switch

I'm pretty sure that MS has done too little, too late on the whole XB180 issue. By the time they started backtracking, the damage had been done. At this point, having your game as an XB1 exclusive is probably going to be a bad thing; maybe that's why Titanfall has also been released for the XB360. Hell, even the exclusives are having lackluster reception; Dead Rising 3 has sold 1.2 million copies after 4 months, while inFAMOUS Second Son sold 1 million in 9 days. Oh, want to compare it to a similar bestseller exclusive on the XB1? After a month, Titanfall sold 925k copies… and that includes PC and XB360 sales.

The XB1 isn't quite dying, but it's getting a lukewarm reception. People are either holding on to their PS3s and 360's or just buying PS4s.

3. RyokuMas
    Meh

Not interested...

... until it supports Monogame, or Microsoft do another u-turn and create XNA 5.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not interested...

It's Monogame that should support the platform, not the other way round!

UE4 already does and Unity will soon.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not interested...

It's not so much a u turn as committing to providing the dev tools to all as they said they would. So far they have gone very quiet about this.

4. James 51

Can you have movies not bought from the xbox/amazon on those external hard disks and watch them? Would be a big plus if so.

1. Roger B

Just installed games at the moment I think, although as you can set the external as the default drive to install games to, you could copy your movies to the internal drive and watch from there?

5. Busby

If they are sorting the UK TV stuff it might be worth digging out the IR blaster I bought but haven't bothered hooking up. According to people beta testing the firmware it plays nice with sky so interested to see how much use kinect will get then.

Just wish there was more decent games available Ryse is far too short and bored with Titanfall. Probably pick Wolfenstein up next week.

1. Ben Holmes

FWIW, Thief is actually quite engaging. Sure, you can mission through the main plot if you like, but there are little side missions and things to keep you occupied if you go look for them.

I have also been struggling with the game content of the XBone, but Thief was a good buy for me. Won't be everyone's bag of course.

Will also probably pick up Wolfenstein though - that looks fun.

6. zmorris

Fix the other crap

How about you guys actually fix the stuff that is really annoying about the Xbox one before you go adding new things no one really cares about? I could care less about having 2 hard drives when I have a freaking 300+ gb one!! How about you make it easier to access your friends list, cut out all this snapping and tv PIP and all this stupid $#@* that annoys the crap out of me...you know.... the things that made the 360 awesome?? How about you make it easier to actually invite friends to games and parties, you know... like the 360??? Fix this stupid crap and then maybe we will talk about 2 hard drives and an Xbox one that can do backflips... sincerely, a twenty-year gamer who has never seen a more horribly designed system.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fix the other crap

It's not hard to fill the internal HD with the size of games these days. The Xbox One will automatically age out old content to make room, but there is still a clear need for the ability to add extra space - both to store games on - and also for say media content like movies.

It's one voice command to access your friends list - or two clicks from the start screen - hardly a challenge.

The PIP and snap functions only activate if you command them to - and I find them incredibly useful. The big thing we are missing is the UK EPG update - due in June. Then the Xbox can do some really neat things with the TV side too.

7. Ross K Silver badge

Minecraft on Xbox One?

Pushing cubes around the screen should put all that processing power to good use.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Minecraft on Xbox One?

Due out later this year.

1. Ross K Silver badge

Yes I know - I read the article.

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Fill a mountain with TNT then light the fuse. Even setting the launch parameters to give it as much memory as possible I can still get my bloody good gaming rig down to 1fpm (yes ...per minute :D) with a big enough explosion :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like