back to article El Reg chats with stormchasing Edge Research Lab

One of the great pleasures of the Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) project has been the chance to hook up with kindred spirits worldwide, such as Colorado-based Edge Research Lab, which recently donated a HackHD hi-def camera to our ballocket cause. Edge formed around two-and-a-half years ago, "the result of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris G
    Pint

Overpondian Garden Sheddery

They just call it Basements and garages but the same good stuff coming out of them, a lot of useful and more importantly interesting stuff has originated from basement boffins and the like.

I liked the video, especially the balloon bursting, what a great shot.

Have a beer guys!

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Overpondian Garden Sheddery

My favourite bit of the video was the panning time-lapse during pre-flight, I'd love to know how that shot was done.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Overpondian Garden Sheddery

Yes, I noticed that too. Very effective.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Easiest way to achieve that effect is a small camera and an egg timer. Attach camera to top of timer, set timelaps, wind up eggtimer, set down and enjoy.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

And then I actually acted according to my nickname...

The effect in the video is done with a linear slide, a bit harder to do than a rotating mount. There are some DIY examples of camera slides out there, but they are often quite involved to build.

Example of the rotating, egg timer solution:

http://www.diygopro.com/diy-gopro-timelapse-egg-timer/

1. EDGELab_David

You're correct, the timelapse camera (a CHDK-hacked Canon PowerShot) was mounted on a linear slide, in this case a 4' pro-grade model owned by our videographer, and for which a custom drive unit was designed and built. The speed was set to about 2.5 feet/hr for that shot.

Slides are getting easier to do, with several kit-based options for linear motion coming out from places like Servo City, and inexpensive Igus hardware (have one of those, too) that's not well suited for sliding full-motion video, but is good enough for timelapse.

Cheers!

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
              Thumb Up

Thanks for the info David!

This topic is closed for new posts.