back to article Open wide, 'Friends': Facebook wants to give you a 'Privacy checkup'

Facebook has taken the highly unusual step of changing its privacy settings to make them easier to understand and alter. Current users will, in coming weeks, be offered what The Social NetworkTM is calling “a new and expanded privacy checkup tool” that will “take people through a few steps to review things like who they’re …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As long as facebook is getting the data, they don't give a fuck. Have some controls, peasants. It's adorable that you try and control your own data by pressing the buttons we allow you to have.

Not playing is the only way to win. And you probably won't win anyway because other people will feed data in on your behalf.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Word of the wise

>And you probably won't win anyway because other people will feed data in on your behalf.

Choose your friends carefully.

1. VinceH

Re: Word of the wise

"Choose your friends carefully."

And your family?

Even saying "choose your friends carefully" is a bit silly - many of us had friends* long before FaceBook was around, so it's a bit late to choose them.

* Well, other people, anyway

1. Khaptain Silver badge

"many of us had friends* long before FaceBook was around, so it's a bit late to choose them.

The kinds of people that would eventually progress to using FB were never the kinds of Friends I wanted to have..

1. VinceH

"The kinds of people that would eventually progress to using FB were never the kinds of Friends I wanted to have.."

I don't know about you, but I made my first friends at school a long time before I had any idea that the future would bring an internet, websites, and social media.

2. Eguro
    Thumb Up

Sure there's a negative perspective to put on this...

But at least with more control and easier interface, it's "only" facebook you have to worry about (and probably some - if not all of the - apps/games).

So kudos for doing something in the right direction.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only Facebook plus the people they sell your data onto.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Facebook taken step of changing privacy settings to make them easier to understand"

Meantime, for existing members we'll helpfully reset everything back to 'Public' for you... Well, Fuck u Zuck!

4. Kevin Johnston

Old sayings

Anyone else heard the phrase

"A stranger is just a Friend you haven't met yet"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wait...

Just wait until people realise that this is just a ploy to get users to weed out

all the crap so FaceCrook can get a clearer picture of their users and their

connections to other people and their interests...

6. Justin Ozeroff

Whats facebook?

7. Zombieman

"Previously, for most people, it was set to Public"

So when I joined the default was I believe "Friends of Friends"... Then Facebook decided unilaterally to change loads of things to being Public (Oi! No!!)... Think this was around the time there were discussions about partnering with search engines...

Soon after that the new (current) privacy model came in "because the options were confusing" IIRC along with easily changing visibility on a post by post basis... Not sure if that was even possible before...

Of course I thought the original privacy options actually were clear enough, though every so often you felt you needed to check every couple of weeks in case FB changed your settings for you...

Ho hum...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like