back to article Robotics evangelist: 'Personal robots' should be invisible beings

Personal robots are fast approaching reality, says one robotics evangelist – but not as the humanoid servants so often portrayed in futuristic fantasies. "Robots are the new black," said Andra Keay, managing director of Silicon Valley Robotics, speaking at the O'Reilly Solid conference in San Francisco on Wednesday. "That …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

19 years late

"By the year 2020," she said, "your household robot will be your house."

"Open the front door, House."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave..."

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Re: 19 years late

I was thinking more along the lines of "Life Imitates the Simpsons" (the Halloween episode with Pierce Brosnan) or perhaps Ren & Stimpy's "House of Next Tuesday".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 19 years late

I was about to say: By the year 2020," she said, "your household robot will be your house and your house your prison. The other way around is just as annoying.

2. Grikath

Call me a sceptic..

While a robot is a machine, a machine is not necessarily a robot, however stuffed chock full of microcircuitry.

My alarm clock also provides a "service" , so does my fridge, or this here PC . Doesn't make them robots, or even slightly robotic. She gets pixie points for trying to get the definition of "robotics" into Nebulous Marketing Fluff though.

3. Blofeld's Cat
    WTF?

Oh the pain...

I don't want an invisible robot, I want one that waves its arms around and shouts "Warning! Warning!" whenever my neighbour tries to light his barbecue.

Leave my childhood alone please, you bubble-headed booby.

4. Caff

agri

not sure about personal robots but farming and agriculture are ripe for disruption

5. Havin_it

J.A.R.V.I.S.

I can see Paul Bettany being busy with the voiceover work for a while...

6. Captain Hogwash
    WTF?

Re: "Robots are the new black,"

Has Andra Keay no idea of the etymology of robot? Words fail me!

1. User McUser

Re: "Robots are the new black,"

The original "robots" were Czechoslovakian, so not sure what you're getting at there...

7. DropBear
    Stop

Sorry, but you don't get to call my digital wristwatch a 'robot'...

...unless you start calling levers, pulleys and screws 'robots' too - then please say 'cyber' a few times as well, just so I can laugh harder, 'mkay?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What no FemBot stocks?

You have a good selection of sexbots and you will make trillions, there won't be a need for birth control and STD infections should drop real fast till Electro Gonorrhea, the noisy killer. Then population should plummet getting rid of that problem and before long humanity is extinct. Once production starts on those we can let the end times begin 8)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New black... Maybe not the safest phrase when talking about our future mechanical slaves... Just one s away from trouble...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like