back to article Gee thanks, Ofcom! BT 'pleased' to hang onto pricing 'freedom' for Openreach fibre product

BT claimed this morning to be chuffed with a series of regulatory proposals from Blighty's communications watchdog. They include a push for faster repair times from its Openreach arm and a decision not to impose price restrictions on the telecoms giant's fibre products. Ofcom also confirmed today that it planned to cut …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DJV Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sigh

Ofcom = gutless, roll-over-and-die weed

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

by the nuts

BT has the Govt by the nuts with its massive pension deficit as when it was privatised the Govt said it will stand behind the pensions. BT has used this stick to beat each Govt with when in reality it should be broken up.

3. Only me!

if BT are delighted......

If BTare delighted then Of com have really messed up BIG TIME!!!!!!

As per normal BT take the gov and regulatory bodies for a ride.

1. calm fella

Re: if BT are delighted......

So why is BT's share price languishing not far above the privatisation price back in 1985?

1. Tromos

£3.78 is not far above £1.30???????????????

1. Steven Jones

Whilst it was true that the first tranche of BT shares were sold at £1.30, there were two further tranches at £3.35 and £4.10 respectively. Also, looking at the RPI index, you have to apply a factor of 2.46 to that first tranche price to correct for inflation. So that £1.30 is equal to £3.20 at today's prices. As the two other tranches were in 1991 and 1993 respectively, the effect of inflation was not so high, but you are still looking at equivalent prices well over £5 (although there were staged payments for all offerings). Against that, there are more shares in circulation now (due to a share option issued) which does dilute the price, but then the shareholders stumped up that extra cash so it really balances out. A further calculation ought to involve the O2 offload, but as that business scarcely existed in 1985, it's not really very relevant,

If you start doing all the mathematics on this, you find that BT's capitalisation value is (inflation adjusted), considerably below what it was when the final tranche of shares was issued, even making allowances for all the factors I've mentions. At the time of privatisation, BT over 250,000 UK employees, whilst these days it's now more like 90,000. As far as UK operations are concerned, it's a much smaller company than before despite the product range being vastly larger, such is the state of what is now a highly diverse telecoms industry.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I still don't understand why I have to pay for a "Voice line" when I have never used it.

I only want broadband.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I only want broadband"

Feel free and get one, they are out there. Costs are the pretty much the same though so you may as well have the voice as a back up.

2. Chad H.

BT insists there is no market for such a product. Who are you to challenge their wisdom? An end user??? What's that?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Effing great

More line rental increases. BT are making a killing on copper in the ground/up the pole. 40% increase since 2008 (11.50 to 15.99) and a cost that dwarfs the actual broadband element of mass consumer connections.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Competition from Virgin Media?

OFCOM asleep on the job again, happily swallowing all of BT's bilge. Virgin Media have been actively trying to price themselves out of the market over recent months, and are only a threat to BT for those seeking a 100 Mb/s connection. I have seen little real world benefit in the change from about 10 Mb to 20, and then through to 60 Mb (soon to be 100), which leads me to conclude that Virgin Media are not COMPETING with BT, they are DIFFERENTIATING themselves from BT, by emphasising the one (largely irrelevant) metric they know BT's technology will struggle to match.

It's unfortunate that OFCOM are so clueless, and haven't spotted what most other regulators have long realised, that in weakly competitive markets you need to dismantle dominant players. The answer for BT's long suffering customers is to split BT up into separately accounted regional franchises (been done with gas, broadly speaking how water was privatised in the first place), and forcing Virgin Media to offer network access to third parties.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Competition from Virgin Media?

Unfortunately, the Ofcom wallah with the opportunity to swing the axe on BT a few years ago decided instead it was unnecessary, before getting a job with them very shortly afterwards. It was one of those once-in-a-decade-or-so opportunities pissed up the wall, that more or less guarantees we're stuck with BT as they are for a long time.

Go figure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Competition from Virgin Media?

"Ofcom wallah with the opportunity to swing the axe on BT a few years ago decided instead it was unnecessary, before getting a job with them very shortly afterwards"

Is that true? Who was that?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...some might argue that Ofcom is being a bit soft on BT"

Well they do have a fair bit of phorm on that front.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

Here's a question.

"A ‘fully unbundled’ line to a property. Again, the telecoms provider uses its own equipment in the exchange, but this time it takes full control of the line to offer both broadband and voice. "

Fault on the line running from home to exchange, because the wiring's about 30 years old for example.

Openreach? ISP? Subscriber hires own leccy bod to come out?

It actually sounds potentially good news for customers.

So WTF are BT so happy about it? Does the pricing freedom on fibre mean they get to stitch up ISP on their back haul from the exchange?

Cautious, but still suspicious, welcome.

9. eJ2095

Not one to ask BUT

For the average user surely they could buy a mifi with bundled data allowance say for a tenner a month?

no line needed then (and yes a decent signal is a must i know)

Wonder how long before a proper 4g Mifi package thats decent comes out.....

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Not one to ask BUT

4g coverage is still very poor. 3g coverage isn't great either. Plus, the average user would gobble down the data in no time, so it'd cost them far more than a tenner a month.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is OFCOM BT's Bitch?

They are supposed to regulate on behalf of consumers, not take it up the ass from BT, while using the same old stories about fines, competition and other under the table deals.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is OFCOM BT's Bitch?

Their real pièce de résistance party trick was not joining the 'bonfire of the quangos' when the ConDems got in, not least without having to shed their muppet in chief. Being liked enough by the tories to weasel their way out of becoming an ideological scapegoat speaks volumes about how useful they actually are, and who to.

Anything good they've done for the consumer was either accidental, unavoidable or double-edged.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like