back to article EFF blows Snapchat a raspberry in gov't surveillance report

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has issued its fourth annual "Who Has Your Back?" report, ranking internet companies on how they respond to government data requests; Snapchat, Amazon, and AT&T sit at the bottom of the ratings. The report rates 26 internet companies and assigns each as many as six stars, with each star …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Seems unblanced

For Example:

Google who is almost like Eye Of Sauron and secretly does what's asked and runs their own illegal surveillance and is hard to avoid

Vs

Amazon who is only a retailer and can be avoided.

1. Gray
      Facepalm

Re: Seems unblanced

Unbalanced ... no kidding! I run three blocking plugins in the browser -- noscript, ghostery, and adblock plus -- and every website has one or as many as a dozen Google reporting scripts that need blocking. Google is like a virus, contaminating everything that touches the web, fer crissakes!

Freck you, Google! And the slimy tendril you crept in on!!

2. king of foo

MISLEADING

Facebook???

That is all

3. bigtimehustler

Re: Seems unblanced

Amazon is only a retailer? What moon did you just arrive from? They run AWS which in tern runs many other companies infrastructure setups, if anything how they handle this data affects far more people.

2. Tromos

Most of these 6 out of 6 companies are defending your data only because it is no longer your data, it is their data.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

' I run three blocking plugins in the browser'

Hate to be the one to tell you that everything you're doing is in vain!

Read up on Super cookies (EFF - Panopticlick) and server side Google Analytics!

1. Jasey

Re: ' I run three blocking plugins in the browser'

Then add "Flashblock" to the list. That should stop the supercookies using Flash as their vector.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Pretty rank

> issued its fourth annual ... report, ranking internet companies

Another self-appointed outfit giving the world the benefit of it's arbitrary opinion in an exercise of self-publicity.

1. bigtimehustler

Re: Pretty rank

Indeed, much like the credit agencies that rate whole countries, its complete nonsense and any rating drop during the economic crisis has actually had no affect on any lending. Organisations like this that give their own arbitrary view that no one asked for are completely pointless.

5. Crazy Operations Guy

The internet Archive was ranked?

Seriously? Why the hell would they need to respond to Government requests anyway? All of its data is public anyway and what isn't, could be gleaned from harvesting meta-data from the ISP.

I'm also wondering why they bothered with LinkedIn as well, its not like someone is going to update their current job as 'Terrorist @ Al-Qaeda' with 'Bombing embassies' as part of their job responsibilities...

1. frymaster

Re: The internet Archive was ranked?

The internet archive allows user registration. People can upload their own data (e.g. live music). It's possible law enforcement might want that data for whatever reason.

2. Mike 16

Re: The internet Archive was ranked?

The requests might be about someone stupid enough to look at a lot of formerly presumed legal stuff, while logged in or from a unique, stable IP. Yeah, they _could_ get that from their taps, but still.

As for LinkedIn, "social networks" (in the pre-friendster sense) are always interesting to spooks. I once got email from a former co-worker looking for another former co-worker. The "target" was an ex-VP, not my social stratum, and I didn't have him in my contacts, and said so. A few days later he emails again: "found him, in prison. Aggravated assault." Imagine that today. Imagine being on the "known associates" list for someone "They" don't like.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like