back to article Boeing shows off 7-4-heaven SPACEPLANE-for-tourists concept

Boeing has revealed a concept design for a spacecraft aimed at getting paying tourists into space. The concept is based on the CST-100 capsule, a vehicle Boeing and its partner Bigelow Aerospace are pitching as suitable for taxi runs to and from the International Space Station – in less than 12 parsecs, natch. The astronaut- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

What's that suspended thing that's about to smash into his face during high G takeoff?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Eh?

I think that's the Captain's seat...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

At least the passengers will get a good view of the captain tight-pants...

1. MrT
          Angel

Tight-pants...

For some reason, the second picture in the article reminded me of the Liberator's bridge, just a bit. Then you mentioned nice view, etc. and, well, Jenna and Servalan sprung to mind ;-)

2. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
        Facepalm

What?! No locked cockpit? TSA isn't going to be happy.

2. Simon Harris

"soothing mood lighting, Wi-Fi (probably) and personal storage space"

But will it play The Blue Danube while docking?

1. Stuart 22

Re: "soothing mood lighting, Wi-Fi (probably) and personal storage space"

Pan Am didn't make the future. The remake will feature Ryanair on the outside. Don't even think about the inside ...

1. Steven Raith

Ryanair?

So, the the destination is "ISS (London Luton)", yes?

1. big_D Silver badge
          Facepalm

Re: Ryanair?

Hmm, Ryan Air being Ryan Air... They'll say they will take you to the ISS, but drop you off at a comms satalite several hundred kilometres away!

3. Yesnomaybe

Whaaaat??

What is the function of the giant T-towel holders? Giant T-towels??

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Whaaaat??

I think they are about the right size for beer kegs.

2. Andy 73 Silver badge

You must know how important it is in space to know exactly where your towel is?

1. tirk
        Happy

Have an upvote you hoopy frood!

3. spacebarn
      Trollface

towel, space suit . . . it don't matter

4. SuperTim

Less than 12 parsecs?

Substantially less I hope. The ISS is only 0.0000000000119908834 Parsecs above the earth.

1. stucs201

Re: Less than 12 parsecs?

Whats that in proper el-reg units?

1. Suricou Raven

About 1 ISS.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Whats that in proper el-reg units?

in metric (beer cans) or imperial (penis length)?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And it will be in realty...

..the same as every other concept car out there.

They look lovely until you realise you can't actually turn the front wheels due to the tyres catching the arches, so it ends up being the same as every other car out there.

6. Elmer Phud

Yer actual 'space'?

Well, that makes a change from the other pointless tourist buses.

An MPV that is also used as a courler van is far, far more useful instead of an ego prop for the Bearded Messiah.

7. wolfetone Silver badge

Will they use the batteries from the Dreamliner in this thing?

Devil

Yes. Those will be the solid rocket boosters...

That's why they're only developing the capsule. Flight testing of the boosters is already underway.

8. T.Omoto
    Meh

Ah, yes, they have these "confort designs" for regular Boeing planes too.

In the future, we all end up riding the Economy class version, sitting 24 people in the same space as those 6 and with all the comfort of the skies being a barf bag and a 7 inch LCD showing a 1970s public domain movie.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah, yes, they have these "confort designs" for regular Boeing planes too.

Speak for yourself, I refuse to travel cattle class, when I fly I like to have nice big leather seats and metal cutlery

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With the ISS shutting in 2020, I hope Boeing gets a move on!

obligatory link in russian or estonian (open with Chrome for translation?)

10. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Facepalm

Good for El Reg

I've seen at least 3 of the US rags report that this is the new design approved by NASA for the CST-100 exploration capsule that's going to the Moon.

Not even the slightest mention that it's a blue-sky proposed tourist concept and that it's going to ISS. Sigh.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ISS run

Our dear Russian (ex) comrade, (ex) friends have just threatened to hit the free world by withdrawing access to the ISS / batten down the hatches, so perhaps Boeing can cobble up something good enough for the exquisite taste of their (mostly rich Russian) tourist clientele.

my point being?

well, there's nothing better than good old "us and them" rivalry for technological progress!

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

And so Boeing campagn to win the CCiCAP contract continues

Following up on their "If we don't win the award all that hangar space we booked at Canavaral gets returned to you"

IOW "Give us the contract or the (potential) work force gets it."

13. Chris G

Over to you Elon!

Let's see something that looks better, produces a better experience and costs a quarter of the price.

Of course, that doesn't mean you will get a contract.

14. Old Handle

Why is it lit with black-lights? That's got to be uncomfortable.

15. Stevie

Bah!

So ... the spaceplane from 2001 is still not doable then? You know, the one with conventional seating so if someone throws out (the zero-g version of throwing up) it only covers the back of one's seat at worst possible case, and where there are actual real toilets so you don't have to - well, let's not go there.

Of course, there isn't a real space station for it to visit anyway, just a low orbit shed.

Happy

Re: Bah!

Aha! Rumbled! ISS = International Space Shed

That explains why they're always taking seeds up there and propogating them. Who's in charge of the Algerian sherry? Or have they got a still up there?

16. Ian Michael Gumby

Meh!

Go back and watch 2001 A Space Odyssey.

See the trip up from Earth to the space station.

OK, so I'm showing my age.

17. JaitcH

Boeing like Apple

Overheated PR Department trying to forget the words DREAMLINER and BATTERY FIRES.

18. Mike Flugennock

To be honest, here...

...I would totally have no problem at all riding on the version of CST-100 that Boeing is building for an ISS taxi.

The pimped-up space tourist model is real sharp and cool-looking and all, and I'd totally ride it if I had the chance, but there's something about riding to orbit in the non-flashy, hard-boiled, no-bullshit version of CST-100 that real astronauts will be riding in.

Richard Garriott and Dennis Tito certainly had no problems riding up in a stock Soyuz.

Re: To be honest, here...

Exactly. Who wants flashy? What could be more amazing than flying into space? Bling just makes you look like an arse.

Of course, I can dream that in my lifetime going into space will become boring and routine. "Where are you taking your holidays this year Sandra?"

"Well, I was thinking of goin' Magaluf and getting in some serious clubbing. But me 'n Wayne have decided that we're goin' to the Moon instead. It's only a bit more expensive to get a Bacardi Breezer up there, and it's dead cultural innit. We get to see Buzz Armstrong and that Neil Whatsisname's feet an' everythin'...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like