back to article Malarial vaccine firm seeks crowdfunding for robo-saliva surgeon

A team of scientists and engineers is asking for the public's help to fund a robot designed to dissect mosquitos and industrialize the production of the first vaccine for one of mankind's deadliest diseases. The robot prototype, dubbed SpoRobot, is designed to cut the saliva glands out of mosquitos that are infected with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Herby
    Joke

But what would PETA say...

Killing all those mosquitoes. Shouldn't they be preserved as they are animals. We just can't kill them needlessly! Can we first put them to sleep?

What do you mean they are pests? Surely no animal is a pest in the eyes of God!

P.S. Note Icon!

1. Tom 13

Re: But what would PETA say...

PETA and the joke icon should never appear in close proximity to one another.

Mostly because they are likely to edit out your joke icon and add your post to their petition to Save the Mosquito!

2. Tom 35

Maybe

But do they promise not to take peoples money, then sell the robot to some mega drug corp for a billion?

3. Chairo
    Thumb Up

Anything

that stops Malaria is a good thing. Unfortunately most of the parts of the world that are rampaged by this pest are quite poor, so there is no good return of investment. A cheap and readily available vaccine would be really, really important.

Good luck to them!

4. Mark 85

Boggled

This just completely boggles my mind... 100 microns in size and they can cut it out manually??? And then there's the image of millions of mosquitoes who can't spit....

5. JCitizen
    Big Brother

And then another super bug would be born...

I say the mosquito traps designed by NASA and sold so ubiquitously in the US would do a better job. Don't we have enough problems world wide with antibiotics and the like? It was my understanding last I read, that Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation found these destroyers to be the most cost effective way, short of controlling breeder water sources, to dampen malaria world wide.

I designed a similar version in 1991, that was a sure killer of not only mosquitoes, but a large portion of the stable flies as well! I never patented it, but NASA took the lead in the late 1990s.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$250,000 is chump change

While $250,000 is chump change for Bill and Melinda Gates, it is not for most of us. Why doesn't the Gates Foundation fund this vaccine effort? Wasn't finding a viable malaria vaccine one of the reasons Gates founded it? What do the donors get other than a warm fuzzy? Shouldn't they get stock options like other venture capitalists? A viable mass produced malarial vaccine will make this guy the next Jonas Salk.

7. bogomips
    Thumb Up

Robots that dissect mosquitoes, to extract their saliva glands?! Wow! that sounds really REALLY difficult!

I'm no scientist, but what about this -

* research some sugary goop which could be a growth medium and looks like saliva

* put goop in bucket

* seed goop with saliva from one parasite carrying mosquito

* stir vigorously for 2 minutes over low heat

* microwave on high for 1 minute ("irradiate")

* fill syringe

* profit!

Come on - we don't "grow" penicillin on cheese these days... must be some better way of getting those parasites to multiply in numbers...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did you forget the Joke icon?

Or did you just miss out on school biology/science lessons?

2. Francis Vaughan

Holy grail

You can assume that many years of effort have gone into thinking about just this. The trouble is that the Malaria parasite needs something vastly more complex. For a vaccine you need a source of sporozoites - which are what are injected into a human by the mosquito. But sporozoites don't reproduce into more sporozoites. They need to go through a human, and back to a mosquito, via a dozen different life stages, transiting through liver cells, blood cells, and various parts of the mosquito. A sugary gloop is not even vaguely in the hunt. The only way we know to manufacture sporozoites is in a mosquito that has feasted on infected blood. http://www.malariavaccine.org/malvac-lifecycle.php

The life cycle of the Malaria parasite makes that of the Alien look tame.

The story of Florey and Chain and the effort to work out how to grow penicillin (a vastly easier problem, given the mould grows happily on bread) was a major undertaking, for which they shared the Nobel.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder why

They can't just let the parasites multiply in a controlled environment to get a lot of them, rather than having to yank them out of mosquitoes a few at a time?

On the other hand, that is far more satisfying! When they're done making malaria vaccine, can we convert them to duty ripping up flies and let them loose in my house in the summer? Hate getting up to grab a flyswatter and finding the bugger has made himself scarce in the meantime.

9. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

...a malaria vaccine that's made by taking parasites from the glands of mosquitos, irradiating them so that they grow to enormous size and kill everybody in the lab, which then has to be bombed by the air-force in order to destroy the mutant monster.

[I guess I ought to have emailed this to the corrections@elreg, but I've done it now.]

10. Jim84

Nice trial but needs way more data

Unfortunately there were only 21 people in that trial (6 ppl got 5 shots, 9 got 4 shots, and 6 were not vaccinated).

It is a promising start, but that is all it is, they really need a clinical trial with a much larger number of participants to get a real idea of the effectiveness.

1. Tom 13

Re: Nice trial but needs way more data

Which in part is why they need the robots. If you're going to run the trials before you get to the clinical you're going to need a lot more vaccine.

This topic is closed for new posts.