back to article Twitter muffles loudmouth users with mute option

Twitter has introduced a "Mute" option that allows users to turn off tweets from contacts without the need to unfollow or block those users. The company said that the option to mute users has been enabled for Twitter's iOS and Android clients, and that support for the option on the Twitter.com site itself is set to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

Who needs a mute option...

... when UKIP can get the Police to come round and tell you to delete blog posts...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/12/police-ask-blogger-remove-legitimate-tweet-ukip

Just another of the many reasons not to vote UKIP!

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: Who needs a mute option...

I think you got downvoted by UKIP

2. Herby

Remotre controls usage.

Note that the most used button on a TV remote control is the "mute" button. Form follows function.

Now if my wife had a mute button (or at least one that says "agree, don't argue further"). :-)

I love her anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Remotre controls usage.

You base the "most used button on a TV remote is mute" on what evidence sir? Not on my remote, or any family members. Up/Down channel and up/down volume are the ones that lose their symbol with over use. Mute is hardly ever used.

2. Graham Marsden

@Herby - Re: Remotre controls usage.

"the most used button on a TV remote control is the "mute" button"

Not on mine. The only programme I watch live is the News, everything else is recorded to watch at my convenience, so the pause and fast forward (for skipping ad breaks) buttons are the most worn on my remote.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The mute option has been in development at Twitter for some time now."

Some time? A feature that a brainless intern could likely code in an afternoon? Is the Twitter dev team perhaps composed of monkeys just hammering into code editors until one of them comes up with something that compiles...?

4. Crazy Operations Guy

So they'll continue to be an annoying twat?

If you mute someone for being loud and annoying and they don't get notified, then how do you expect them to stop being a giant twat?

Although thinking about it, I only see two outcomes to this:

a) The muted users is unaware of their loudness and will continue being annoying. Or

b) They are aware but dismiss the people that have muted them as 'haters' or 'afraid of the truth' and will become even bigger assholes.

There is just no winning...

5. fridaynightsmoke

OR

Or maybe you could, you know, unfollow them?

Methinks this is another "Why OF COURSE I'm your friend*" *(not really) face-saving function like that in Facebook.

6. PaulR79

Astounding!

Twitter, having cut almost all third-party apps off with a stupid limit, are finally implementing some of the features that make them popular. Up next will be the ability to switch to a dark theme! I can't wait for them to catch up to three years ago.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like