back to article OpenOffice.org 3 beta lands

Sun Microsystems yesterday released the first beta of OpenOffice.org 3 for Windows and Mac. The open source rival to Microsoft Office now natively supports Mac OS X without the need to install the X11 module to run the suite first. The beta also includes full Vista and partial VBA support. Sun will be hoping to lure customers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good

Well with Bittorrent hitting the skids, the freetards will need to find an alternative to ripping of MS Office 2008. Let's hope Sun close source the Win32 version of OO, it will have even more cachet with the tardies.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Get your coats hardworking folk at NeoOffice!

And thanks for everything.

Mine's the one with the P45 in the pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

It's also available..

..for Linux and OpenSolaris, BTW.

4. John McCreesh

OpenOffice.org and Sun Microsystems

The new beta release of OpenOffice.org was not released by Sun Microsystems, but by the OpenOffice.org community, an open-source project. Sun is the founder and principle sponsor of the community, but OpenOffice.org also benefits from contributors sponsored by other companies, as well as hundreds of activists who contribute on a volunteer basis.

Sun Microsystems will no doubt release a version of their Star Office product, based on the same codebase as OpenOffice.org, just as we may expect IBM to release a new version of Lotus Symphony, and RedFlag to issues a new version of RedOffice. However, OpenOffice.org comes from the OpenOffice.org Community.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Yes so ?

I wonder what useless advanced enterprise features it'll feature this time over 2.4

One can set almost any preference on it - what fonts to use, what colors, what security/certificate/digital signature whatsnot, whether to use internet update, and bla blah blah.

A preference to change the default paper size seemed to be absent though, and contrary to the maker's mistaken belief, "Letter" is not an acceptable default everywhere.

No wonder MS is laughing as they rake in the money, OO can get every useless advanced nerdy feature spot on, but basic stuff like that is evidently unsexy enough to skip.

6. Nipsirc
    Coat

@AC paper size

Hmm, When I saw your comment I thought - that can't be true... hey presto, google 4 minutes later:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=95542&highlight=paper+size#95542

Shall I get your coat sir?

7. Andy

@"yes so?"

You can in fact change the default paper size, just not in the preferences dialog.

As, no doubt, 25 comments have already pointed out.

8. neil
    Stop

@AC

You must be using some version of OO.o that is unique to you.

9. Lucas Vieites

@AC Remember: OOo is NOT MS Office

I don't understand the difficulty in understanding that OOo is NOT Office, and it's not trying either. It's different software and it does things differently, take it or change it. Try and do that with MS!

By the way: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=802

It's not that hard to find ;-)

10. Jon Green
    Paris Hilton

@AC ("Yes so?")

Setting the default page size isn't exactly rocket science.

* On an empty document, set whichever settings you want to become defaults. (So change the page format, modify the default text style, any of that stuff.)

* Now select "File / Templates / Save..." to save it as a template.

* Next, go to "File / Templates / Organise...", select your template (double-click "My Templates"), and click "Commands / Set as Default Template".

Next time you start up OOo on a blank document, it will use your changed settings. Not just the page size, but everything else you set.

Funny how the MS apologists and open-source knockers always post anonymously. Must be to hide their MS piecework payments from the HMRC...

Paris, because even she knows how to use the help system. Duh.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC paper size

That forum post is nearly 3 years old.

I don't have that problem on the current version (2.4). My default paper size for new documents is A4.

12. Alan

@Yes So?

Interestingly, without even trying my copy of OO.o2.3 has the default set at A4, now how did that happen???

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pirate office 2007?

"Well with Bittorrent hitting the skids, the freetards will need to find an alternative to ripping of MS Office 2008"

When I unwisely accepted a new computer with Office 2007 on it I spent a couple of hours of use trying to actually get some work done before giving up and downloading OpenOffice to actually get some work done.

What Microsoft thought they were doing with the 2007 interface completely eludes me, the only things that I could do were due to having memorised the keyboard shortcuts.

I would think there is little if any chance of anybody ripping off a new copy of office simply because most people don't want it.

14. Nipsirc

@AC paper size (old forum post)

yes, mine also defaults to A4 - but you may wish to change the default to letter, or legal or some other weird page size. It may also default to letter if you live in a strange country, or use Linux (same thing really!)

15. Turgut Kalfaoglu

praying

I'm praying that it looks nothing like the new M$ office. Slow, bloated and awkward..

16. Highlander

Hope they've fixed the database

Have they fixed the Access-a-like yet? Last time I rtied to evaluate the quite, the database stank, and regularly broke.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Will the new version...

be good enough to give the files I save an extension, instead of leaving me to do it manually?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

Will OpenOffice now support *THE* ISO document format (yes, I know ODF came first, but let's face facts). Getting that right before MS (the inventors) would be kudos.

I hope they have given the spreadsheet a good shake. That was the weakest application. And I hope they have redone how the formatting behaves, as that was the weakest aspect of all applications.

I use MS 2008 in work and OO at home. For serious work, MS is still the only choice for the reasons I mentioned (shame really...) I hope OO 3.0 gains traction, it would be nice to see some proper competition.

19. PunkTiger
    Coat

That's all well and good, but...

...will it support OXML?

FLAME ON!

/mine's the one with Tux on it.

20. Jonathan

@ Hmm

Given that is utterly impossible for anyone except MS to comply with OOXML in full due to all the BS "do this like MS Office 5.x, 6.x, etc." comments in the spec, no OOo won't be able to get that 'right' before MS does.

21. stizzleswick
    Coat

Saw a preview at CeBIT this year...

...running on MacOS X; they had a pretty old machine there and OOo was blazingly fast. Loved it.

As to everybody here in love with MS Office: get over it. In fact, forget it. As opposed to MS Office I have never had any problems with OpenOffice (or before that, with StarOffice, for that matter). Paper size is trivial, as are all other settings. Plus, OOo does not declare the user to be mentally retarded by default and actually lets him/her get some work done, like typing a shopping list withOUT interrupting with a brightly-coloured message box claiming that the user is "obviously trying to create an address directory, may I help you?"

As to the format war: also get over it. It has been won already, even if MS are still trying to fake their way back into the fracas. Too many governments on all levels from the village level on up, in North America, Europe, and most importantly in India (approx. 1.5 billion people live there... that's quite a demographic push even on a global scale) have already either adopted ODF or made it clear that they intend to, for any later standard to have much of a chance. I may be wrong, but then again, I wasn't wrong about PDF turning the pre-press world upside down in 1994 either...

Go OOo, KOffice, SmartSuite, and so on... and, ironically, since MS Office is currently to a large part being developed in India, goodbye MS proprietary formats. From the point of view of somebody who learned to make computers work for him, not to work for the computer: the less MS Office, the better. In my long, long, long experience, that piece of junk only gets in the way of productivity. Let's switch to something that actually lets you do what you want without telling you it knows what you want better than you do (and to something that doesn't run potentially dangerous scripts w/o asking whether you'd like it to do that, for that matter).

Microtards, feel free to flame. I'm wearing my asbestos today.

22. Thomas

OpenOffice Mac vs NeoOffice

Well, OpenOffice's attempt at being an Aqua application isn't very convincing. In fact, it's quite obviously just some weird cross-platform widget set with an Aqua theme that's not even very close.

The good news is that if you don't like the way buttons look in OS X, don't like the way that the pinstripe look was de-emphasised a few years ago and is completely gone in v10.5, really hate text rendering that uses the colour arrangement of LCD monitors to significantly improve character forms (you know, the stuff Microsoft calls ClearType) and don't like the way that application preferences work in OS X then OpenOffice is the application for you!

On the plus side, at least it can pair-kern. Try typing "You WANT" into Word, whack the font size up to 72 and check out the giant gaping holes in your text between the Y and o, and the W and A.

23. Tony
    Flame

New icons...?

Goodness me - it's got new icons, why are we even discussing this...! Download it NOW!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hate MS Office, but...

...one has to accept that it's commonly used throughout the corporate world. When I create a document, be it text or spreadsheet, or indeed anything, I don't use MS Office - I don't even have it at home, where I'm Mac based, or (until recently) at work, where I was Linux based - both situations using OpenOffice.

Thing is, I tried opening a spreadsheet originally created in Excel on my openoffice install last year, and the workbook formulas in there went to shit - they just would not work. This could be MS bypassing some standard, it doesn't really matter. The person who originally created the spreadsheet used MS Office, and the person I'd ultimately be sending my amended version to was using MS Office. And OpenOffice couldn't handle what was going on. What use is that? Should I ask my suppliers and my customers to change their software too?

Now I'm all for software that give an alternative to overpriced, bloated mainsteam products, but until they're guaranteed to offer 100% compatibility, unfortunately I'll have to resort to borrowing someone else's machine with MS Office installed to get some work done occasionally.

I don't think it's right, but that's just the way it is...sadly. Trying to get the world to accept some new standard, even if it's the right one that's been ignored by MS, just isn't good enough. The only real alternative to MS Office is something that does the job better, correctly, yet still handles MS-created documents like they were native - and every previous attempt by everyone thus far hasn't managed it.

I have high hopes for OpenOffice 3; Hopefully, they've realised that they have to conform to the existing rulebook as well as define the next one.

25. Ronny Cook

(O)OXML support

Will it support [O]OXML?

"...and can also open files created with Microsoft’s Office 2007 and Office 2008 for Mac OS X."

Apparently so. Although the degree to which the loaded documents resemble those from Office 2007 remains to be seen.

If you've looked at retail prices for MS Office lately you may get some idea of why people are using OpenOffice.The price of Office does not reflect the amount of work put into it - otherwise MS's Applications division would not be making 60% profits.

...Ronny

26. WTF
    Paris Hilton

@ hate MS Office, but...

Thing is, I tried opening a spreadsheet I originally created in Excel 2003 on my Excel 2008 install last week, and the workbook formulas in there went to shit - they just would not work. This could be MS bypassing some standard, it doesn't really matter. I originally created the spreadsheet used MS Office, and the person I'd ultimately be sending my amended version to was using MS Office. And MS Office couldn't handle what was going on. What use is that? Should I ask my suppliers and my customers not to downgrade their software too?

But wait! There's more... "Save As..." Excel 2003 (.xls) format from Excel 2008 (.xlsx) , you know, to ensure collaboration and interoperability between office mates with upgrades versions has worked correctly/well exactly twice of eight or so attempts. And don't even get me started with PowerPointless. Need to take a mid-morning break? Open a '03 presentation with '08, grab a cup of joe, smoke a fag, graze back through the cube farm, and still have time to check El Reg for the latest in breeding habits of highly talented hotel hieresses.

27. Thomas

Re: the price of MS Office

"If you've looked at retail prices for MS Office lately you may get some idea of why people are using OpenOffice.The price of Office does not reflect the amount of work put into it - otherwise MS's Applications division would not be making 60% profits"

Nowadays Office probably is too expensive compared to the work that should be going into it. The stuff of putting text on screen so that it appears exactly as it prints, of things like searching and, in the case of OS X, spell checking and grammar checking has long ago found its way into the operating systems. Free SQL-based database engines abound, and of the platforms supported by Office, at least OS X installs one by default. Similarly PowerPoint isn't doing much that the Windows Presentation Foundation and CoreGraphics can't do automatically. The kicker is almost certainly that Office can't use the OS facilities for many things because it needs to support the various hacks of previous versions that have found their way into the file formats. Word's typography is famously erratic, Excel deliberately duplicates bugs that may or may not have once existed in Lotus 1-2-3, and I'm sure the other components have similar cruft issues.

However, it would be wrong to ignore the way that the price of Office has fallen in recent years. The home-user version is now just about £100, whereas before the 2007/8 versions, home users had to pay more like £400. Even if business prices remain the same (and I don't have a clue), that presumably still means a sizeable overall reduction in the amount of money obtained by MS for Office sales?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mail Merge

I hope they have worked on the utterly pathetic mail merge tools in OO. I hate Office but rolling out a few hundred names tags or address labels from a merge is a snap. Otherwise OO is a cool product in many respects.

This topic is closed for new posts.